• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much tranny fluid??

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Got my filters ordered. But, I'm looking to change my fluid also. With a normal pan and a filter change along with draining all the fluid, how much do I need to get.

And also, what fluid do I need. I'm not really wanting to go with the really good stuff like Transynd right now as I will be building my trans sometime this spring.

Enough.

The Whole tranny holds almost 5 gallons but you wont get it all out.

I dont have an honest answer as I really dont know .

I would say get 4 gallons, you can always return anything unopened you dont use.

Or just buy a 5 gallon pail you never know when you may need it again.

As for the fluid just make sure it is Dex VI

Depends on what you mean by "all the fluid" if you mean all in the pan and a spin on its 7.4 qts. If you mean all like the hoot method flush 5 gallons will leave you a little left over. I use Amsoil Torque drive.

Transynd and Amsoil Torque Drive are the top choice. Any fluid with TES-295 rating, per Allison, will do.

Dexron VI will work fine.
Should hold somewhere between 7-8 quarts with a pan and filter removal, just kinda depends on how fast you work. lol

I just realized today when filling mine up that I have gone through a lot of tranny fluid in the last month. Taking it in and out 3 times equals a lot of fluid when you dont save it.

But my high performance Farm Oyl ATF costs me about 70 bucks to fill my tranny.

Back