• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How Much Oil Do You Use?

MAGNUM06

Reaction score
I was just wondering how much oil you use between changes (3,000 miles)? mine will use anywhere from none on one end to 1 1/2 qts on the other. No leaks & not really any smoke. I was also wondering if excessive idling has a bearing on it? :noidea:

mine burns ~1 qt in 8000 miles. i use synthetic so my oil changes are at 8k. no idea about the excessive idling part though.....

usually none with 5,000 miles.

This last chane however I usued 3 quarts in 7,000 miles while waiting for my Amsoil to arrive.(only took 5 weeks). I think my culprit was a loose drain plug though.

A 3,000 mile change is a little overkill. Some will argue that, but it truely is.

Always been right on target for me. Maybe I'm lucky...

I check at every 1000mi mark, change at 4,000mi interval, have honestly never noticed enough of changed in level to feel the need to add. Have 28k miles + on the truck now...

Use maybe up to 1 qt in 7500 mile changes. 95% highway and I'm using Rotella T 15w40 dino. DIC usually reads about 30% left at 7500 mi.

Back