• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much does an dealer oil change cost

phil85207

Diesel Guy
Reaction score
:mad2:Had my oil changed at a stealer in Mesa AZ They did the spin on transmission filter also and charged just under $170.00 I think I got ripped! What do you think. Me thinks I will be doing my own oil changes from now on.

Oil changes are somewhere in the neighborhood of $120-130 around here. DIY and save $100 for sure.

if they used synthetic than yeah it could run that. buy it your self and do it yourself. very easy to do.

I will for sure be doing the changes myself from now on. I just thought for warranty reasons it would be recorded in GM's file and I would not have to save the receipts to prove the changes were made. I will just keep a file in the truck with the invoices for the supplies.
I will not give them a chance to rip me a new one again.

Did they itemize the reciept and show what kind of fluids they used? If there are part #'s on there we can figure it out.

Did they itemize the reciept and show what kind of fluids they used? If there are part #'s on there we can figure it out.

I didn't pay attention, I was so mad. I did question the bill and the girl said to take it up with the service writer... He had just gone to lunch. He quoted me about $75.00 plus the spin on tranny filter. I figured another $15 or $20 at the most. The thing that boils me is that I had a tranny filter in the truck and just had a brain fade till it was to late. All I can say is "It won't happen again". (Taking it to Brown and Brown, not the brain fade).

Dealerships charge like $40 for spin on filters...Its pretty ridiculous considering I can get them here at a local Allison dealer for 8 bucks.

That's crazy. Once in a while my dad gets his oil changed at the dealer if he gets a coupon in the mail. I don't think they charge him any more than the local Valvoline shop. But that is on an Avalanche...but still. You go ripped for sure. Changing that tranny filter is one of the easiest maintenance thing to do on these trucks!

I used to have my oil changed at a Valvoline quick stop (w/valvoline premium blue) and they would charge me around 60-70 bucks.

:mad2:Had my oil changed at a stealer in Mesa AZ They did the spin on transmission filter also and charged just under $170.00 I think I got ripped! What do you think. Me thinks I will be doing my own oil changes from now on.

My dealer wanted to Charge me $460.00 to oil change, Trans spin on and top off the trans, and service the rear differential oil... that's a rip off.:wtf: I did it all myself for less than 1/3 that and only about 2 hours on the weekend... i rarely go into the stealer for maintenance...

Stealership

Hi - I was just held up on Tuesday, $345 for Oil/Filter
change, Fuel filter change, and changing the Allison
Spin off filter.
Now if I wanted the Allision fluids changed along with
the filter it would have been over $400.:wtf:
Why - did I do this? Temps in the low twenty's and I
don't have a heated garage.
What - am I going to do, change the timing of the changes
so that the weather is warmer and do them myself or find
an independant garage that I trust and have them do it
even if I buy the materials and pay them for the labor.
Trust me I won't be paying $170 for labor and $4.75 for
a quart of Rotella.

Westwind, just for general info, how many miles did you have on your oil when the dealer changed it? I think I am in the wrong business. I need to do oil and filter changes. Wow!

Hi - I was just held up on Tuesday, $345 for Oil/Filter
change, Fuel filter change, and changing the Allison
Spin off filter.
Now if I wanted the Allision fluids changed along with
the filter it would have been over $400.:wtf:
Why - did I do this? Temps in the low twenty's and I
don't have a heated garage.
What - am I going to do, change the timing of the changes
so that the weather is warmer and do them myself or find
an independant garage that I trust and have them do it
even if I buy the materials and pay them for the labor.
Trust me I won't be paying $170 for labor and $4.75 for
a quart of Rotella.

Ouch!:mad2:

wow,id slap a service writer right in the face if they told me that much for the servive you listed.i do my own oil changes for way less and i dont have to worry bout some young kid rompn on my truck while he's doin it.

Wow this is funny... I've never HAD my oil changed....I run Rotella T Synthetic and Mobil 1 filters. Oil changes run me $50 WITH a new trans filter...

It's Cold

I'm leaving for Florid and a couple of weeks and I wanted
to have it done and waiting for a warm day is not in the
cards.
But, trust me, I will not pay that kind of money to that
Dealer again. They were probably trying to get the Free
Oil Change that they gave me when I bought the truck
paid for on the second one.
But from what I read online there might be a $20-$25
dollar difference between dealers but they are all about
the same. What I object to is 1/2 labor for spinning off
the transmission filter and replacing it.
Not everyone with a truck has a business to charge the
high costs to.

I will for sure be doing the changes myself from now on. I just thought for warranty reasons it would be recorded in GM's file and I would not have to save the receipts to prove the changes were made. I will just keep a file in the truck with the invoices for the supplies.
I will not give them a chance to rip me a new one again.

Dealerships charge like $40 for spin on filters...Its pretty ridiculous considering I can get them here at a local Allison dealer for 8 bucks.

Phil, like Nick said, you can get the spin on allison filters for about $8. Let me know if you need it and I'll send you a link to where to get them in phoenix. Hell, in a pinch, I could get you one from my garage. I have extras, and I think you live just a couple miles from me IIRC. :)

blksmok

Phil, like Nick said, you can get the spin on allison filters for about $8. Let me know if you need it and I'll send you a link to where to get them in phoenix. Hell, in a pinch, I could get you one from my garage. I have extras, and I think you live just a couple miles from me IIRC. :)

Thanks, but I had one in the truck at the time, I just forgot about it. It won't happen again though. B & B got me once but I won't give them a second try. So far both Throbread and B&B are on my list. I have found in my travels that the small town dealers are the best place to go. They depend on word of mouth for there busness.

Back