• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

how much can I tow?

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
with an 89 Suburban, 4wd 3/4 ton 350/700r4? Not sure of the gear ratio. I know everybody hates the 700, but I think if used properly (ie, not in OD when towing) it is a decent tranny with good gearing. However, I'm pretty sure my camper is way too heavy for it.
Been wanting a 3/4 Sub for a long time, but I think I'll probably pass on this one, since it likely wouldn't budge my camper. Or at least it wouldn't ge over the big hills.

Would a late 80s 454 Sub have a different tranny? Seems like a 454 even with a 700 ought to be able to pull over 10k.

I'm probably stuck until I can find a nice 6.5 Sub in my price range.

My 700 in my 92 went at 95k then again at 105 but that was the shops fault. But i finally got a decently built one and it seems ok at 240k. Definately no OD, hell my truck empty can barely hold on to it without having to downshift. But it has seen its fair share of towing, i just try to keep away from long hauls.

As far as a late 80's burb if its a 3/4 ton i would say it has a 400 in it. And if it acts like the one in my 71 i think you would be just fine. The 71 pulled horse trailers and raced for the first 100k of its life. Still stock, still good

LOL a 6.5 for towing your wasting your money. . .The 454 will run circles around the 6.5 a 100 times over towing and performance wise.
The 454 will out do the 6.5 at every thing sept milage. 454 will get 8-12mpg the 6.5 will do 16-20mpg.
But side by side race 454 will win now them both with 12K and race them again the 454 again the winner.
Run them coast to coast winner burns less fuel the 6.5-T is your winner there.
The GM DT6.5 is not a work horse its a driver and nothing more its for the guy who wanted a 2500 with S-10 milage.

A 454 TH400 or 454 700R4 with some 4.10's and 285/75R16's in D or E load range and your set with the 700R4 don't tow in OD keep up and your fluid and filter changes and running a Heavy Duty cooler and you'll be just fine.

If you really want the 6.5 4L80E combo or 6.5 period i would budget lots of extra travel time into each trip empty they seem ok loaded there a Gutless wonder. . .

Mike

Im not much help here, but I tow 14 to 17k with my 6.5... I have had 700's and never had any luck with them lasting even towing in D

I pulled 11k with my 6.5 at 65 mph some hills around Clevland in 5th with no problem.

That doesn't help you with the 700r4 question but it gives a good testimonial to the 6.5.

with tuning a 6.5 will outpull a 454 handsdown. they may not make a lot of hp but make about 600lb of torque properly tuned and built. take a look at a few peoples 6.5's on here and read the 6.5 section. great workhorse unless its stock! nothing against the 454 at all though but with fuel prices the way they have been and may be again its a huge factor.

At the moment Diesel is up and gas is down. . .
The 6.5 is slug. . .a Gutless Dog. . .I can't believe i bought such a useless truck. . .Sadly now i am stuck with it cause i finaced it. . .
I was hopping it would be a truck i could drive for many trouble free years. . .All its been is 1 repair after another. . .Should went with a 350. . .they may blow up once or twice a year but atleast they run great till they blow chow. . .On positive note the 6.5-T is such a gutless unreliable loser breaker Dog it won't blow up. . .Keep plenty of cash on hand it'll break once a month to once every other month. . .I'm hopping mine either quits breaking or blows chow and gets it over with. . .I hate fixing a Rig more then i drive it. . .

Mikey

I had an 89 2500 4x4 sub. It had a 350 and a t-400, 373's and 33" tires. It towed like caca! It ran hot no matter what I did. I even upgraded the rad and all. If you are going to tow with a burb get a big block.
My buddy built the ultimate burb. It is an 86(last carbed year) 2500 4x4. Now for the good stuff. It now has a 502, built t400,np205, 4:56's w/ a detroit locker in rear and an auburn pro limited slip in the front. It all rides on a 4" lift and 35" bfg's. And it is for sale, his wife made him buy a pretty new one. It is an 8.1 2500 4x4 sub.

I run a stock 6.5 and pull a 16 ft. enclosed trailer all summer long loaded with lawn care equipment and it pulls fine.:thumbsup: No it won't run with the new Diesels but has pulled ANYTHING I have put behind it. It carries an 800 lb. snow plow on the front with no problems either! I guess I found a good one as it is NOT a money pit.:D

Beautyful man. . .

I'm going to be regearing my truck, I figure lack of motor has been fixed with adding more gear for decades so thats just what i am going to do to my 6.5-T.

Its getting a set of 4.56s then i shouldn't have any issue with towing power. . .

Mikey

At the moment Diesel is up and gas is down. . .
The 6.5 is slug. . .a Gutless Dog. . .I can't believe i bought such a useless truck. . .Sadly now i am stuck with it cause i finaced it. . .
I was hopping it would be a truck i could drive for many trouble free years. . .All its been is 1 repair after another. . .Should went with a 350. . .they may blow up once or twice a year but atleast they run great till they blow chow. . .On positive note the 6.5-T is such a gutless unreliable loser breaker Dog it won't blow up. . .Keep plenty of cash on hand it'll break once a month to once every other month. . .I'm hopping mine either quits breaking or blows chow and gets it over with. . .I hate fixing a Rig more then i drive it. . .

Mikey
Based on your post/ sig, you have finaced a 95 truck with a 6.5, which is the only one (that can be) in your sig. If this is the case, that does not tell me a whole lot about your intelligence when you have such a fleet already in your sig. You come here for information and rip on others for asking questions and all you do is rip on other towing compacities. Sounds like you need to grow up and drive what you want out of your so called fleet and leave the folks that are looking for real information alone.

Mark
I run a stock 6.5 and pull a 16 ft. enclosed trailer all summer long loaded with lawn care equipment and it pulls fine.:thumbsup: No it won't run with the new Diesels but has pulled ANYTHING I have put behind it. It carries an 800 lb. snow plow on the front with no problems either! I guess I found a good one as it is NOT a money pit.:D

I wasn't impressed with the 6.5-T at all. . . when its getting out towed by a 47 year GMC V-6 Gasser and 56 year old REO I-6 Gasser. . . both trucks tow great in high gear at half throttle. the 6.5-T is has to be down shifted into DD and ran at 3/4 throttle just to keep on rolling dosen't seem that great to me. . .Maybe i'm expecting my truck to acctually tow n work others just want to drive them around. . .

he was looking at another truck. . . I suggested the 454TBI/4L80E seems to tow more then the 6.5/700R4 combo. . .

Mikey

I wasn't impressed with the 6.5-T at all. . . when its getting out towed by a 47 year GMC V-6 Gasser and 56 year old REO I-6 Gasser. . . both trucks tow great in high gear at half throttle. the 6.5-T is has to be down shifted into DD and ran at 3/4 throttle just to keep on rolling dosen't seem that great to me. . .Maybe i'm expecting my truck to acctually tow n work others just want to drive them around. . .

he was looking at another truck. . . I suggested the 454TBI/4L80E seems to tow more then the 6.5/700R4 combo. . .

Mikey

I understand your point but, you strongly referenced againgst the 6.5 and it's abilities. It can do what you want if you set it up properly and not want a hot rod while towing. You have to consider the cost value in fuel or gas if that's what you prefer.
My suggestion would be, that you should research your information when you go and finance a vehicle that is over 10 years old. Not ot be a smart arse but just thinking from my own thoughts. I do hope you did not have a long term loan on her.
I would think with the fleet you have, you would/should have done your homework.

Mark

The 6.5 was a spur of the moment old truck died i need a truck like yesterday before breakfast. . .
My F-150 smoked the transmission, i walked into the chevy dealer bought the truck went and loaded up my ford and headed home. . .

I didn't really have the time to do much thinking like the other Relics. . .prolly why i've had such good luck with them as i bought them after test driving many many of the same truck. . .

Mike

The 6.5 was a spur of the moment old truck died i need a truck like yesterday before breakfast. . .
My F-150 smoked the transmission, i walked into the chevy dealer bought the truck went and loaded up my ford and headed home. . .

I didn't really have the time to do much thinking like the other Relics. . .prolly why i've had such good luck with them as i bought them after test driving many many of the same truck. . .

Mike

I again understand your point and issue at the time however, you should not rip on what you do not know about just because you had to buy on impulse and could have gotten a bad egg or one that had been beat on by someone which is why it was at a dealer.
I can assure you that there are a great amount of 6.5 owners here and many other places that can prove you otherwise, not to mention will take great offense towards your statments. Myself included.

My main strike against what you were stating is, we(as 6.5 owners) have inferior vehicles/motors and they are not worth anything as a lot.

To keep the ranting short: you should do some research before ripping on something you have no knowledge or experience with, especially based on what you had to buy on awhim due to a Furd breaking down.

Perhaps spending more time on here and others getting to know people rather than insulting them, you might be able to get a tow somewhere when you need it than having to buy something on credit that you will not be happy with due to inexperience.

Bridges burned can bite you in the long run.

Trust me i have seen the error in my ways and have rebooted myself so to speak and me being a GM fan threw and threw i don't miss that F-150 a bit. . .

I have started doing some planning of a build up i think you 6.5 guys will enjoy.
But i ain't giving up my tricks till its finished then i do an unvaling and a full write up on what was done and why !

Mikey

Trust me i have seen the error in my ways and have rebooted myself so to speak and me being a GM fan threw and threw i don't miss that F-150 a bit. . .

I have started doing some planning of a build up i think you 6.5 guys will enjoy.
But i ain't giving up my tricks till its finished then i do an unvaling and a full write up on what was done and why !

Mikey

Sounds good and we respect your response.

We look forward to seeing your new project and findings.

Mark

Back