• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much boost??

heyman

KJV 1611
Reaction score
As you see in my sig I have a 2000 Chevy 3500 with a rebuilt 6.2 bottom end with 6.5 heads from diesel depot studded top and bottom with a stud girdle also. What is the maximum boost i should be pushing? I just ran a 10,000 pound load over the weekend about 400 miles and at wot my guage was saying 20-21 pounds of boost i checked and the spring had slipped and was binding the rod. Is that enough to hurt the engine or should i keep it down to @ 15 pounds??
Thanks in advance heyman

X2 for 14psi. Any more and the turbo is just a intake air heater.

As they mentioned 14-15 pounds. I also have a Diesel Depot engine. I saw 23 pounds but turned it down to just run 15 on a hard pull.

How much less horsepower should i expect running 15psi compared to 20psi?
How 'bout fuel economy?

How much less horsepower should i expect running 15psi compared to 20psi?
How 'bout fuel economy?

I would say none. You can utilize high boost if you can supply enough fuel.

GM-X Turbo's run out of effeciency after 15psi boost. So you are probably loosing HP to run 20 instead of 15. As the turbine starts taking more energy to turn, and the result is piping hot air, which not only defeats the boost, but raises your IAT's sky-high.

If you are towing heavy like this, perhaps you should consider the ATT turbo.

Back