• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles should 6.5TD IP be good for?

Holyoak

Reaction score
Okay, I already know there's no definitive answer for such a question. Obviously it’s been established that the IP is the weak point. It seems that everyone has the thinking of “when” it fails and not “if”. I’m just curious if there is a general consensus of when these things are going to drop dead?

I’m the third owner of my Suburban and I’m about to roll over 113,000 miles. I don’t know if I need to start getting nervous and open a savings account to prepare for the cost. :cryin: Or maybe just wait for the first tell tail signs.:eek:15:

There’s a guy on another sight that routinely makes the comment that greasers like myself are good for business. Personally I think it’s GM’s junk IP that’s good for his business.

Well, I have 156000 miles on mine on the original IP. I have changed the FSD 2 times. I think often people jump the gun on IP failure as a result of the FSD going bad. Mine still runs strong and have no intent on changing it until it quits, I say go till she dies.

I'm the 3rd owner of mine at 315000 km and there is no record of an IP change. If it runs well don't worry. Leo

Honestly, I think the perception that the IP is junk is a result of all of the FSD failures. Remember that GM was just replacing the entire assembly for years when a fsd went bad. My '95 got it's 3rd pump/fsd in 1999 at 59K miles. That one lasted until 2005 when I put the Heath remote fsd on it. Still going strong and approaching 170K miles....

Now what effect your wvo system will have is anybody's guess....but the cash you're saving on diesel would probably offset any "early" pump failure.

with grease, its all about how well filtered it is and how hot the grease is before it gets to the pump... if its above 170 degrees the pump has no clue it isnt diesel. if its cool then your gonna ruin your pump. FILTER FILTER FILTER!!!

The failure rate on WVO has more to do with how well your fuel is filtered. There are some nasty particles that I think are both corrosive and gummy.

You are still under warranty. 11 years 120K miles.

Not really. The fine print in the warranty reads that if your run anything other then dino then it's void. Like someone else pointed out though, my savings from the wvo over the last couple of years have more then paid for a couple of IP's. Especially when dino hit $4 to $4.75/gallon around here for a year.
I'm also saving my daughters high school band a bundle. When they take road trips I'm hauling equipment and they don't have to cover my fuel costs.

BTW, thanks for the replies folks.

i'm the 2nd owner. 1st ip @ 86,000 kms 2nd ip @ 170,000 kms 3rd ip waiting to happen. thing is i don't know if a pmd woulda fixed it the 1st or 2nd time. all i know is gm replaced them under warranty and i wasn't about to suggest swapping a pmd. truck now has 210,000 kms. Ed

i'm the 2nd owner. 1st ip @ 86,000 kms 2nd ip @ 170,000 kms 3rd ip waiting to happen. thing is i don't know if a pmd woulda fixed it the 1st or 2nd time. all i know is gm replaced them under warranty and i wasn't about to suggest swapping a pmd. truck now has 210,000 kms. Ed

You guys must have better luck then me on warranty ip replacement....

I brought mine in and it took them over a month to get the job done. O, and they promised me a loaner truck from enterprise which i never got..... They kept on telling me Oh we'll have the job done in 3-4 days, Oh it'll be done tuesday, Oh it'll be done on friday, Oh it'll be done on wednesday, Oh it'll be on on etc.............. So I say i "forgot" some stuff in my truck and needed to get it out to get a chance to look at it and they had the motor completly tore down!!!!!!!! I mean it was just completly REDICULOUS. 4 weeks and half a tank of diesel gone (which they "don't have to" replace) later i have my truck with entire injection system replaced and spewing diesel all over the highway because the filter was screwed in cockeyed which i found out after loosing 1/2 a tank over 30 miles. There was also a wrench set above the radiator that could have fallen into the fan/belt and would have really screwed thing up.

I have the papers on it on file at home. dozens of hours of "diagnostic" labor and 40 hours of shop labor iirc all for a PMD!!!! I even told him what to replace and even SHOWED him the location and printed a few threads off of the place on step by step instructions on how to replace it. I should probably check and see if they put spark plugs back in it instead of glow plugs here before winter..............

So the next time it went out i bought a used one off of ebay for $60, had it running in less than an hour. And you better believe they heard about that one....... I figure i'll put my bad pmd on it at the 119,000 mile mark and take it in to get a new ip. To a diffrent dealer of course.

My rig has 210K miles on it. As far as I know the IP has never been replaced. Not so much as a hint of issues with it.

I also run 8 ounces of Power Service and a quart of 2-cycle engine oil with every tank to keep things nice and lubed up.

Seif in hastings. Although the service manager "disapeared" and moved to texas or something like that after my truck got done. I'm pretty sure that they saw some 19 year old kid and decided to take advantage of him when i brought it in. I'm thinking that there was some fraud involved because the entire time my truck was in the shop there was an LB7 sitting next to mine getting injectors replaced. Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think that it takes a month to replace injectors, or a pmd for that matter....... Funny when they skip town like that.

Back