• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles do you drive between oil changes and have you ever had a UOA done?

How many miles do you drive between oil changes and have you ever had a UOA done?

• Only 3,000 miles.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • At least 5,000 miles.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 5,000 To 10,000 miles.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 10,000 To 15,000 miles.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 15,000 To 20,000 miles.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I run it more than 20,000 miles.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I change it according to the DIC.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I don't drive enough miles, I go by months.

• Yes, I have done a UOA.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No, I have not done a UOA.

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Returning to a truck theme this week lets talk maintenance, specifically oil changes.

[/FONT]It's a two part question. How many miles do you drive between oil changes and have you ever had a UOA (used oil analysis ) done?

This is a multiple choice poll so both questions can be covered.

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

New oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

I have never had a UOA done on any vehicle I have ever owned.

5-10k for changes. My oil life monitor always has me in the 9k+ range since I'm almost 95% highway. My average speed over it's 175k life is 43 mph.
Never have done a UOA

I change my oil once a year, and I usually do a UOA along with it. It averages out to about 14-15K. I change it once a year usually around July 1st. I currently have 77, 500 on the odometer.

5-10k between changes. Using synthetics, I'll go average 7500 miles, both oil and filter.

Never have done an UOA

Usually change it around five thousand miles; doesn't tow much and sits even more. Only 79K on the truck right now. As for UOA I have never done it to the truck, but have conducted oil analysis on some military rigs.

I always changed my oil every Nov/December in my 6.5. I would run about 9k miles a year. I ran 0-40 full synthetic.

In my "new" to me LLY, I'm thinking of doing the same.

As for an UOA, never.

You need 2500 miles in the poll: as severe duty 1993 6.5 owner's manual calls for it at this lower than common mileage. Yeah, changed the oil once a week for a couple months and went over 2500 miles at that!

I have had UOA on the phone predicting engine failure by "flush system and fix EGR" from a cracked piston before it burned through and failed. Uhhhh... "What EGR? On the vin F."

I use the DIC on the Duramax and the UOA backs it up as being ok to run 10K on conventional oil towing hard. "Cheap insurance" is an excuse to "waste money", not a good thing when you are watching the bottom line.

I stand by the oil analysis. First one I ever did I brought to the dealer to show them and all 8 injectors were replaced(truck had zero symptoms of injector failure at the time). I always changed the oil according to the analysis, amsoil ea oil filter I replaced every 10-15k though. Now that my father owns the truck it still gets the same treatment, amsoil throughout and oil analysis's.

You need 2500 miles in the poll: as severe duty 1993 6.5 owner's manual calls for it at this lower than common mileage. Yeah, changed the oil once a week for a couple months and went over 2500 miles at that!

I have had UOA on the phone predicting engine failure by "flush system and fix EGR" from a cracked piston before it burned through and failed. Uhhhh... "What EGR? On the vin F."

I use the DIC on the Duramax and the UOA backs it up as being ok to run 10K on conventional oil towing hard. "Cheap insurance" is an excuse to "waste money", not a good thing when you are watching the bottom line.

WW, what did they find to lead them to this diagnosis?

5 -10 k
Brother has a cummins and changed oil last week after 23 k ,analysis came out good,you go figger!

What kind of oil was he running in the Cummins that he ran it for 23k? I know for sure I wouldn't be running any kind of oil 20k+ miles...

Change it whenever I feel it needs it.

Rebuild it whenever I feel it needs it.

Miles is secondary to load duty.

Never have done a UOA. Try to keep oil changes at 5,000 miles. It usually will coincide with tire rotations so I do it all at once. I just use conventional oil and AC-Delco filters (well, the Jeep gets Mopar). Never have seen any reason to do otherwise.

8000KM/5000miles. never did UOA, and the mileage goes out the door during the winter. Will change sooner to if the weather is nice - no garage.

In the truck, I did it every 5k. Had a UOA done a few times with different oils, it never had any red flags and Blackstone told me I could bump it up to 10k without any issues.

The VW requires synthetic and gets changed every 10k. Haven't had a UOA done in that yet.

Back