• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How I got 3 MPG more

Let's see THOSE pics!

2001_01010003.jpg

Nice truck.

No worries about the darkside. The harder to work on water pump and injectors in the reasonable cost high mile units is made worth it in a newer truck to some. MPG and Power both make me miss my 2008.

You can't knock the 'military simple' 6.5 for ease of working on.

I disagree on it being more expensive as my 6.5 stuff has cost me more than a new truck payment. However having a pink slip is more important than being a slave to a bank in these bad times. And the guys at the parts store including the dealer parts rep love me and send me Xmas cards...

Nice truck.

The harder to work on water pump and injectors is made worth it in a newer truck to some. MPG and Power both make me miss my 2008.

You can't knock the 'military simple' 6.5 for ease of working on.

The injectors in the 6.5, while cheaper, aren't fun to change either.
And yes, this truck has a little more "go" to it. :D
Starting out with around 100 more HP, and 120 LB/FT more than the 6.5,
and I don't have a chip yet

Nice looking truck for sure. Can't beat it for the power. I am not sure though about it being easier to change the injectors than the 6.5 truck.

I love the power of the Duramax. I don't drive mine in the winter. I live in the salt belt and am going to try to make it last many many years.

How much did you have to give for that beauty? How many miles are on it?

Nice rig. The LB7 is the best engine in the d-max family in my opinion. We are up to 270K miles on my fathers truck with very few problems other than injectors. The fuel mileage is outstanding. Good luck!

I am not sure though about it being easier to change the injectors than the 6.5 truck.
How much did you have to give for that beauty? How many miles are on it?

I didn't mean the injectors were easier, but that the 6.5s were not really easy either.
It's got 105,000 miles, gonna have to change the fuel filter, just so I know what I'm
starting with.
When I started looking for a truck, there were three things I knew I didn't want:
1. A white truck
2. A four door
3. A short bed
So, I got a white, 4 door, short bed! :rolleyes5: Here's the story:
Stopped at a dealer I saw while on the way to test drive another truck, saw an extended cab long bed there, but miles were too high - salesman pointed out this truck, low miles.... not really interested, but asked how much?
$15,900, told him it wasn't really what I was looking for, and wouldn't even consider it unless
I could get it for 15K out the door, TTL, everything. He said he'd have to talk to his manager (don't you just love that, they are selling something but don't know if they can accept an offer!)
I gave him my number, told him I'd be down the road looking at the truck I originally was going to see.
That one ended up being junk, got a call 15 minutes later, agreeing to my price on the white one.
Test drove it, everything seemed fine, signed papers, about halfway home I noticed it was clattering
and smoking at idle..... in touch with the dealer, they agreed to fix it, ended up being two bad
injectors, the lot I bought it from put it into a GM dealer to have it repaired, ended up costing
them another 2200.00, but they stood behind it, I'm pleased with them... truck is running great.
Dealer I got it from was Community Motors, in Hammond, LA - owner himself guaranteed
that whatever it took, they would stand behind it, and he did. Can't recommend a better place.

I had a full load duramax before i bought my two 6.5s. The 6.5s sure are nice for better mileage and driving in the city and easy cheap fixing. I LOVE the duramax for towing very heavy loads, the down right power the VVT LLY can put out and the comfort of the heated leather seats and sunroof. The both have pros and cons depending on what applicaion it is used for. For my self they both work fantastic for me.

2 injectors were a $2200 repair the dealer made good on?

You bought the truck as a "pre-owned" deal from a Chevrolet Dealer?.....Or did you buy it from a "used" car/truck dealer?

Man, you almost made me spit coke on the monitor! :D

First thing you need is a better filter/water separator. The GM fuel filter has been revised several times to cure it's blame in the injector failure problem. Some diesel is so bad that this does not help.

If 2 injectors failed, try and find out the history of the truck and what other injectors have been changed. A better filter will help life, but, can't undo the damage already done. Least you get a white smoke warning sometimes before the injectors melt down the engine...

2 injectors were a $2200 repair the dealer made good on?

You bought the truck as a "pre-owned" deal from a Chevrolet Dealer?.....Or did you buy it from a "used" car/truck dealer?

Actually bought it from a Dodge / Jeep dealers used car lot, they had the local Chevy dealer do the repairs.... I got a copy of the
repair ticket, just in case there were any issues with the repair... 2200.00 is what was listed, the dealers may have had something
worked out between themselves, so I'm not sure if that's what they paid, but it's fixed. I called the Chevy dealer while the truck was
apart, to check on changing out the other 6 injectors - they said since it was already apart (they were changing one inj. on the left,
and one on the right) they wouldn't charge me labor to change the other 6 - but the injectors were 350.00 each at the dealer.
I told them just to fix the bad ones, I can change all eight myself for what those 6 would have cost.

Heck, the truck is just broke in. I figured it had alot of miles on it being it is a 2004. Alot of trucks around here have alot more miles on than that and they are newer than yours. I think mine has 150,000 miles on it and it is an 02. I thought I had low miles.

He didn't have the window sticker in the glove box did he? I bet it was 50 grand or so new. I bought one new 90 6.2 truck in my live and will never buy another new truck unless I am rich. And I don't think that will ever happen. Sure take a beating after only a few years of ownership for the price to fall way down.

Was it pretty much stock when you got it? That was one thing I looked for when I bought mine. Mine didn't have rails in the back for a fifth wheel either. Yep, you will like it alot.

If you get the stock fuel filter make sure they give you the TP1298B I think it is. Some dealers around here are still selling the older, outdated filter. Good luck with your new ride.

I replaced all 8 injectors for 2200 on a buddys 2002. They arnt that bad to change. If i had an LB7 with 2 bad injectors i would change all 8 in a heart beat caues the other ones arnt far behind. I have seen what a slightly stuck open injector can do to a pistion in a duramax.

I replaced all 8 injectors for 2200 on a buddys 2002. They arnt that bad to change. If i had an LB7 with 2 bad injectors i would change all 8 in a heart beat caues the other ones arnt far behind. I have seen what a slightly stuck open injector can do to a pistion in a duramax.

I've heard the same from a ford Tech on my 7.3, he said you better do all 8 but I couldn't afford it, they were in the $350 range also......He said the new actually make the old go bad faster, something to do with PSI and warning signs from the bad ones.....he was right 3 months later I was back to change another 2, $90 per hr labor and $3?? per injector, you do the math!

you just gotta shop around for injectors...the new revision GM injectors I bought for my build only cost me $1450+/- for the full set

I'm afraid only bosch can do it right...nothing but nightmare stories from those that used other injector services...

it's not that bad in comparison, considering how many injection pumps pmd's and other necessary mods are needed for the 6.5 to be properly maintained...the Dmax requires nothing in stock form other than the problematic injector issues they have and are a more powerful better truck overall IMO...If you pick one up used and even if you add in the cost of injectors you are not talking about a huge investment and that is mainly an LB7 issue... get an LLY or LBZ and you are even better off...

I don't know what/if any issues GM's latest revision of LB7 injectors have had (if any)...but the latest revision is supposed to address the premature failure issues...lets hope they finally got it right...ten + years too late IMO

Back