• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How hard is it to change the crank seal?

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
On my truck the rear crank seal leaks bad, how hard is it to change this? Its in a 2wd, so that should make taking off the transmission easier.

Its one piece so hard part is removing everything down to and including the flywheel to get to it.

If your oil pan has ever been off might nip up the bolts first to see if its the oil pan near the back.

Sometimes 3 or 4 #8 or #10 sheet metal screws into the seal works for removal. Use a flat washer under the screw heads to help accommodate a pry bar.

There is a neat little Kent-Moore tool for install. More or less a pipe the same dia as the seal that presses it in with a threaded rod in the middle.

added pic:

seal inst.jpg

Ive got a tractor apart right now with a rope seal, is this the same type of seal? Or is there a better seal I could use so this doesnt happen again?

it should be a rubber seal not sure on your year if it's 2 peice or 1 if 1 piece that's where the tool is used. many have done it without it

The seal will be a 1 piece unit on your 6.5's. Hardest part is removing the tranny and all that junk. Like said earlier, get some small sheet metal screws, i drilled 2 small holes into the metal on the seal then used a pair of vise-grips and yanked it out. I bought the kent more tool and uset it to install however i couldnt get the tool to seat the seal in there correctly. So i didnt use the tool. I used a large piece of pipe and some wood to get the seal started and used a gauge around the outside of the seal to make sure it was pressed in equally. Once i got it started i put the tool back on and got it to the correct depth. Looking for pics...

Edit Page 14, post # 205.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?11133-Resurecting-New-Engine/page14

Picture of the seal and one screw still in it.

I do all kinds of welding and work on farm equipment so Im sure I can find something round to tap it in with.

Where is the best place to get a new seal? I only want to do this once.

I got a NAPA one, if i could redo it i would have bought one off of OEHQ or some GM OEM parts place depending on price.

Neat kit yep. Didn't see an installer that looked to be any wheres NEAR the 135mm 6.5 seal.. 135 is just shy of 5 3/8"..

I prefer screws. Why? nothing touches any of the sealing surfaces whatsoever.

Wow, I didn't know that the rear main seal is that large.

Does anyone know what size is the front main seal for 6.5?

If you have a transmission jack- 8 hours. Count on finding something unexpected.

Back