• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How hard is it to change head gaskets?

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
A friend has a 1992 and wants me to replace the head gaskets, he has one thats blown. Is this a hard job? If it was mine Id do it but figured Id ask you guys frist, I dont want to mess up somone elses truck. I rebuilt the engine in my IH 484 but thats a 3cyl not a V8.

Head gasket job isn't really that hard, all things considered.

Passenger side is a lot more involved than drivers side, though, due to the turbo.

Passenger side will be a lot easier if you pull the inner wheel well. That opens everything up for you.

Remove the accessories on the front of the motor. Then, the upper and lower intake plenums. Then the injector lines (will need a crow's foot for that), then the valve covers. On the passenger side, remove the turbo before removing the valve covers.

Then, you should have the head bolts all exposed. The rear most bolts are a PITA to get to, IMO. But not impossible.

The heads weigh a good chunk, so expect them to be heavy. Also, get a pry bar, you'll need to wedge it between the block and head to separate it from the gasket.

Assembly is reverse of disassembly. You will need to get new head bolts.

Estimated cost: About $150 ( I bought gasket set, head gaskets and head bolts from the local Checker/Kragen auto parts) + a few cases of your favorite beer.

Expect the job to take you a chunk of time. All told, I think it took me about 20 hours to do the passenger side head. I could do it faster now that I know what to do.

If it's an option for you, you might save some time and frustration by pulling the motor. Just depends on if you are doing one side or both sides.

x2 on removing the wheel well, just makes it easier.

If you have one, use a hoist to move the heads. especially for the installation. (reduces the chance of damaging the gasket) The heads weigh about 90# each. Reaching out 3 ft with 90#, over the core support, without help is an injury waiting to happen. (with help, just waiting to slip as you set it down.)

Depending on the level of rust and how many things stick or break, 20 to 24 hrs is about right for the first time.

Crowsfoot is very helpful on the pump side of the injector line. Absolutely required if only pulling one side. If doing both sides, using open end wenches will work. Start at the top and work around each side to the bottom. Reinstall in the opposite order.

Clean the threads before assembly
Get a tap and chase the treads. 12mm for the head bolts and 10mm for the manifold bolts. Clean out the sealant, rust and carbon before reassembly. New Felpro head bolts have sealant on them, no additional Teflon is need. Recommend anti seize on the exhaust fasteners.

To quicken the bleeding of the fuel system.
Leave the lines at the injectors loose and glow plugs out until you can crank over the engine and get fuel to the injectors. The tighten the lines and install the glow plugs. Cranking the engine without the glows installed will be much easier on the starter and batteries.

Do the heads really weight 90# each? I would have guessed closer to 50#.

Even still, I was able to do it without much difficulty. Slow and easy wins the race.

X2 on chasing the threads. I forgot about that. Definitely a good idea.

The weight of the heads surprises me, the head on my 484 was probably 150lbs, it even had rings on it for your hoist.

I guess this would be a good time to replace the glow plugs.

I'll look at my truck tomorrow and see if it looks like trouble and decide if I want to do it.

Do the heads really weight 90# each? I would have guessed closer to 50#.

Even still, I was able to do it without much difficulty. Slow and easy wins the race.

X2 on chasing the threads. I forgot about that. Definitely a good idea.

My back did, thats why I stopped at harbor frieght and bought a cheap hoist when the cracked but tested good head was replaced.

Hey, you should put some pics of your Goldwing in your album. I'm a big Goldwing fan.

Do you remove the exhaust manifolds or leave them on the head when removing/installing?

Seems that they would be easier to get off the head when off the engine... Rusty.

you can leave the manifolds one but you'll have to remember the more that's there the heavier it'll be! I can see why it wold be easier, more space. but having them bolted down gives you something to work against. your call.

Back