• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you test a handheld tuner?

dka99burb

Reaction score
I am meeting a guy tomorrow about buying his Superchips Flashpaq Tuner. He has not been able to make it tune his trailblazer because he got the V8 tuner and it's a 6 cyl. I have not used one before but I do know that they will only tune one vehicle. He bought it used. I want to make sure he didn't get screwed and passing it on to me. I have talked to him about that and he didn't know that it only did one vehicle and doesn't have a V8 GM to test it on.
Any tips on how to check it out when I meet him? I figure that I will hook it up to see what it will do but any info as I go into this would be very helpful.

Tuners are usually "engine specific." A V8 tuner probably cannot tune a V6. If the tuner is for your truck, then hook it up and see if it reads your trucks VIN number and see if it runs the DTC's. It it reads your truck and does not throw any errors, then it is probably OK. Just be sure that it is not VIN locked to another truck. The only other way that I know of is to send it back to the company and have them run a check on it. I'd try it on your truck and see if it works for the best test. ;) Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Back