• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you get the glovebox out?

Woody35

Reaction score
I feel stupid asking this becasue i can do it really easy on my grandpa's gmt-800 truck but how do you undo the glovebox to get to the ecm. Im going to break some plastic pieces if I keep trying to get it out. I need to get the ecm out because im going to get the kojo tune.

Last edited:
It's been awhile but IIRC when it's open press the top left side of the glove box to the right. When it drops forward just lift it up.

on my 94, you remove the 2 side screws on each side. Then using a screwdriver, work out the pins holding the cable like door stops. It'll come right out then

Woody,

On the Suburban chassis/interior for '97, open glove box. There is a stop on the Right hand side, press the side of the glove box in to clear the stop. The glove box will rock out further. You can then slip the U- shaped hooks off the bottom shafts (there are 2 IIRC). There is also a restraining strap that is attached to the structural cross bar from the left side of the glove box. I used the door panel removal tool to pop that mushroom out.

GL HTH,

Hag

Not sure if it's the same on a 97, but my 98 is simple.

Open the glove box, don't let it open all the way.

For retaining strap on the left (drivers side) you lift the front of it and slide it out of the glove box side wall.

The right side you just press the side wall in and the stop clears.

Rotate the box open a bit more and it will lift off the dash pins that it hinges on.

easy peasy....

Not sure if it's the same on a 97, but my 98 is simple.

Open the glove box, don't let it open all the way.

For retaining strap on the left (drivers side) you lift the front of it and slide it out of the glove box side wall.

The right side you just press the side wall in and the stop clears.

Rotate the box open a bit more and it will lift off the dash pins that it hinges on.

easy peasy....

CORRECT ! Same on a 1995 K2500, so no tools need and less than one minute.

Cu,
Sven

thanks guys ,well i got it out. anybody know any tricks to get the connectors off the ecm. ive been pushing the blue tab down and green tab up but it wont move completely out.c its probably moved 1 mm so i can see a barcode on the first connector clearly now. i dont want to be too hard on it because i dont want to break anything or any wires

Push the connector in, then press the tab to release and pull while still holding the release tab down.

Sometimes this helps;)

thats what ive been trying to do. i managed to accendently pull the top tab out but it went right back in. this is really frustrating. it shoudnt be this hard.

I usually pull the ecm out while the wires are attached then disconnect the harness plugs.

Just pull the PCM towards you to disengage the pins on the back of the holder, then rotate it out into the open while being cautious not to rip the wires. They're robust, so don't stress about breaking the wires that much. The connectors need a fairly positive pull, there's lots of little pins to disengage and each one holds on pretty tight. Just be sure you're got the locking tabs on the connectors pressed in enough to disengage them from the PCM connector body or it is not comming out.

Much easier for me with the PCM out of the bracket though.......

ill try it, where on the ecm are the back pins. the right side?

If you look at the PCM as it sits in the truck there'll be two spring clips on the bottom edge facing you. These hold the PCM on the bracket. Pull the PCM towrds you and the spring clips will release. The pins are on the other edge of the Pcm facing the front of the vehicle. There's nothing holding them in once the spring clips are disegaged. They're just two plastic pins that slide out of two holes on the PCM bracket.

Easy peasy...

I'm also willing to bet you'll have to transfer the clip and pins to the new PCM. Clips just slide in to a slot. The pins need to be unscrewed from the mount first, then the pin screws are on clips in teh PCM body that need to be pryed on a little bit to slide them off the case.

Install by reversing the process.

I know because I just dissasembled my spare PCM while I was typing this to confirm what I remembered.....;)

thanks for the info. i took out the one screw from the mount i think. i realize this is an easy process but im more of a visual guy. i unclipped a small red connector facing me and a blue connector that is snugged up close on the right side of the compartment. the pcm can freely move on the right side but it wont budge in the back. so your saying basically i have to find these small clips on front side and the rear ones will slide out?

holy hell i got it. i must be blind those clips were right in front of my eyes. thanks everyone who helped me through my endevor to get this thing out i really appreciate it.

Back