• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How big?

jeffjbar

Recruit
Reaction score
First off I am tractor stupid. I just bought 20 acres that will need to be cut. I am looking at cheap tractors just to cut the 20 acres with. What I have been finding is Ford 8N's and lots of them and cheap. Would that be enough with a 6' bush hog or should I be looking for something else. Again I want to emphasize cheap. Thanks.

A 5 foot brush hog is all that an 2n, 9n, or 8n can handle. That being said, you can probably find an 8n/brush hog combo in decent shape for $1500 - $2000 or so.

Depending on how often you are going to mow, you might want to look at a bigger tractor. You really need a 35 hp tractor or bigger to run a 6 foot brush hog.

Another option is to have someone hay it if you don't have the inclination to do it yourself.

I'm with Bud on this one. If you go with the small Ford and a 5' whirler mower you'll have to mow more often or you'll get bogged down pretty quick. I mow about 30 ac of pasture with a Ford 2000 and 6' JD mower. If I'm not on it soon enough it's a real crawl. The other thing with cheap, is a tired engine will just make it worse so plan a motor rebuild into your budget.

Invest in some sheep and goats!!

A good little Kubota or a JD would be a good one for ya. 35hp would be ok for a 6 footer.

if your lookin for cheap hp....check out belarus tractors....they are russian...crudly built but they run well.....I paid 4k for a 4x4 with 50hp and that can run a 6ft hog

John Deers are nice :D And Landpride makes some good rotorerys.. Depends on your price range.. I have an old Ford something outback with a brush hog and it aint bad

I'd have someone hay it. Get them to pay you for the hay - their expenses, then you make some $$$, and don't have to worry about it. Whether they large square, small square or large round, you'll still make some cash, and they'll have hay. Put an ad in a local paper or farm related magazine.

I used a 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel with a 6' bushhog type mower made by Rollins on my 17ac when I lived in MO. The Ford is 38hp. never had a problem, just keep the blades sharp and it mowed like a finish mower if the grass was not too tall. And if it got too tall, it still mowed fine, just leaves a lot of clippings behind.

The best advice I can give is, get a diesel.

jc

My Ford with the toy Kubota

ROLLINS

I'd save up a bit and go for something a little newer 1975+ with 40+ hp. Lots of choices. I have a wore out '72 Ford 3000 with 5 ft King Cutter from tractor supply. I mow 20 ish acres and it takes a long time. I have to go lowest gear when the fescue and bermuda are thick and tall (over 18") and its slow. Depends on terrain and number of trees etc. Type of grass/weeds/brush will also make a big difference. And as someone mentioned how often you want to mow (how high it is). When its been cut within a month or 6 weeks depending on rain I can mow in 2nd or 3rd in low range easy and thats not bad (its a 4speed with Lo-hi range). If it were a 6 or 7 ft cutter ????

If you are going around many trees or obstacles I'd recommend getting power steering it is pretty std on newer equipment but stuff from the 60's and 70's it can go either way in the 40 hp range. My steering unit and front end are worn out and its not hard to turn but once turned near lock its a bugger to straighten out. Sat on a deere with manual steering and it was easier to turn so test drive what ever turning lock to lock in figure 8's to know what you have.

I wouldn't buy a gas tractor no way no how.

Be patient there are lots of tractors out there on Ebay, craigslist, tractorhouse, and local papers or try a local dealer if they sell trade ins. Go look at several before you buy. If you get a good one it will last a long long time. If you don't know what it is by description you can look it up on tractordata.com or search tractorhouse nationwide and there will probably be several pictured.

Um, you know that Schulte mower? That company is owned by my grandpa's great uncle's family. Not exactly my immediate family, but still family.

Also, that's called a Live PTO, where it doesn't disengage the PTO when you push in the clutch.

My dad had a ferguson TO30 he would use to chop the grapes, its about the sive of the old fords. It worked great but it was like cutting tall grass. A over grown field and its goes slow. Just today he was talking about when he mowed 5 acres of tall dry grass for my uncle and 3 times he steped on the clutch and teh mower plugged up with grass.

I just cut about 3 acres of tall dry grass with my 484, when its dry it really takes some HP. My dads 75hp JD with a 5ft will shop anything at a idle and never bog down.

If you can Id go bigger, its worth the extra money. I have about 3k into my IH but have a million hours into it. I see alot of fords, like a 8n for $2500. My IH is twice that tractor, if not more. Also get a diesel if you can, the torque of the diesel makes the tractor seem like twice the HP of a gas the same size.

Those old fords are good machines but just slow because of low HP and no live PTO. Maybe get one of those fords with the flat head V8.

Thanks for the info guys. I found someone who wants offered to clip it this year so that buys me some time before next spring.

Back