• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hour meter reset itself on my 07 dmax....

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Started my truck about a week ago and noticed the starter didn't sound like it spun as fast as normal AND the clock on the stereo reset after it cranked. Figuring this was connection related or bad battery, I inspected all the connections for cleanliness and tightness (I didn't have time to actually test the batteries). It spun over/cranked like normal for the next week (of course, it was hot here-even in the mornings - like 79 degrees at 8am) so I'm not positive but maybe the GP
s didn't need to light off but for whatever reason I didn't get any more slow spinning starts. Load tested the batteries almost a week later and the driver side battery had at least one dead cell. Replaced both batteries, all is well.....until I filled up yesterday and was cycling through the DIC to reset trip, gallons used, and average. When I toggled by HOURS it was at 6.9 hours! I guess it reset itself when the voltage dropped. It's not that big of a deal and fortunately I had just checked recently and I was averaging around 26 MPH and I wrote it down somewhere...so, I can figure it from there....I just can't believe that data can be reset like that.
Anybody had that happen to them or hear of it?

Smitty

Heard of it before but I would be pretty upset if it happened to me as I use it as a benchmark for many things.

Common problem and affects 2008 and earlier years as it happened to my 2008 with a battery failure as well. The low voltage causes it to reset just like frying an old Atari to get more lives. (Cycling the power on the Atari till the life counter reads higher than normal.)

IPC Engine Hour Meter Resets - keywords cluster DIC display hour meter intermittent start up #PIT4368A - (05/29/2007) 2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic2003-2007 GMC Sierra ClassicSome owners may comment of the ipc engine hour meter resetting. This concern may be very intermittent and normally occurs at key up and/or start up.

GM Engineering is aware of this concern and working on a correction. At this time there has been varying success repairing this concern with the following information:

•Check the battery/s with the Midtronic`s battery tester and also perform a load test using a Vat40 or similar load tester to make sure the battery/s are in good condition. We have found in some cases a weak battery could cause this concern, this step is very important on vehicles with the 6.6L Diesel Engine where both batteries are used for cranking the engine.
•Check the battery cables and make sure all connections are clean and tight.
•Check the IPC powers and grounds (G200, G203, G100, G110 and the braided ground strap between the engine and cowl G104 and G107) connections and make sure they are clean and tight. 1.If the IPC has not been replaced, replace the IPC

Yeah, the more research I do, sounds like this is common with all GM trucks and low voltage conditions. Found a bunch of folks complaining of the same thing in 04-07 dmax's. This does suck. Oh well, a lot more important things in this life to stress over I guess.

Back