• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Homemade Shortie Straight Pipe

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
My 94 1/2 ton is working its way rapidly from daily driver to ranch vehicle. It'll be moving around my 2012 JD 3720 and implements on a 17' trailer with dual 5200# axles so it's time to get serious with mods. Anyway...

Is anyone running a straight exhaust and dumping it forward of the rear tire? Relatively speaking the exhaust is a small expense compared to the injectors/chip/fan/waterpump work that it'll get. I just want to fab one up myself that's short/big and I'm not that worried about a little noise. This site http://store.airflo.com/ sells parts and I figure stepping my 3" down pipe up to 4", a section of 4" flex, an elbow to point outward and a tip should do it.

Thoughts?

I have my exhaust dump to the ground right behind the cab. I still have a muffler, it has a small tip on the end of the muffler that points it to the ground.

I do not think it is much cheaper than a full exhaust system. I paid $140 to a local muffler shop for all the hangers and welding and the section of 4" straight pipe. I think I paid $50 for the used down pipe and muffler.

I am pleased with the exhaust.

had a pipe dump in front of the rear tire and the wheel filled up with soot in a week. no need to clean it, waste of time. i would turn it down if i did again.

Being cheap I might have emptied the kitty and just clamped on a turn down (angled slightly toward the side) immediately behind it. Works for me. I will likely do a DE system eventually, but this works for now. I got the turn down at AZ for a couple bucks.

I ended up with a 4" straight pipe behind the rear tire. With no muffler or soot trap, it makes a lovely sound at around 80 mph.

Back