• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Home made boost gauge

Aaron1505

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 vin f and I made my own boost bolt and got a 0-15 psi industrial liquid filled gauge. I'll post pics when I can figure out how. Now I have a question because I'm not exactly sure what pressure a normal boost gauge reads is it lbs? Because I have pressure in the line from the boost bolt but the gauge dosent move. And I have the waste gate wired shut and vac pump deleted. I guess my real question is dose a boost gauge and a air pressure gauge bolth read the same or am I missing something here?

Line is not pinched I haven't even run it through the firewall yet I just hooked everything up and reved it to about 2500 and it didn't move at all so I disconnected the gauge and there was pressure there. I'm gonna get another and give it a shot. There free so it's not like I'm wasting my money. Has anyone tried this before or am I the only cheep one?

It won't register psi just free revving it. You will have to take it for a drive to load it.

I took it out and held it at 2500 in 3rd. It's a manual trans. It should have some boost goin on then. I can hear the turbo whining. Why won't it have any positive pressure in the intake if I hold it on say 2000 in neutral? The waste gate is wired shut and the turbo is spinning. so it should be making at least something more than zero correct? why won't it register any pressure "free revving it"?

Get ur handy dandy air compressor out, set the output reg for 10psi and hook the gauge to it thru the line and fitting. Your home made bolt may not be letting air past it. Blow air backwards with engine off, should not build pressure.

Chart for stock ECM has a max of 12 psi at about 2000 under full load, backs down to 6-7 as RPM goes up toward redline. Turbo may only put out 1-2 psi at light throttle with no load. Am told by guru's here and elsewhere that 20 should be considered dangerous and EGT max is 1100. These are high static compression engines and the turbo is a boost, not like the mech supercharger ones that need boost to run.

Back