• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Holset HX-40 Super??

pacificdrumma

Reaction score
A have a line on a genuine Holset HX40 "Super 40" 7-blade compressor wheel turbo. What would I need to do to spool something like this? Is it worth considering? Truck is a 96 auto

You don't need a qsv to spool an hx40. Unless it's got a huge uncommon turbine housing, a tune for said turbo should be all you need. If you want to pick up some boost threshold with that setup, look into ceramic coatings, manifold porting, exhaust wrap, turbo blankets... Basically anything to keep velocity and heat in the exhaust stream.

16cm housing will be laggy and smoky around town unless you get a tune for it, but when she lights, hold on.

00A0A_93XXIgVw0Cg_600x450.jpg

559144_3905845757706_181680918_n.jpg

These are the two. I don't know compressor specs offhand. Maybe some of you more knowledgeable guys can tell just by looking. What would I have to do as far as a down pipe goes? And what could I expect for boost with a tune? Can I safely run 15-18psi without head studs like an ATT?

6 blade is probably around a 56mm compressor wheel, being a Volvo it could even be a billet like mine, probably the best flowing stock compressor wheel from what I've read. Turbines are all the same size, just different blades, 10 being the best.

What's the part number? Its on the tag on the compressor cover.

Somewhere on the mounting flange, either inside the scrolls right up front or outside will be a number, IE 12 or 14 or 16 etc.

I know the second turbo is a 16, not sure about the first. I thought that the 7-blade was closer to 60mm and most desirable?

I know the second turbo is a 16, not sure about the first. I thought that the 7-blade was closer to 60mm and most desirable?

There are a few sizes, blade count etc is not a good way to determine which is better. The billet 56mm wheel flows more than the cast wheels from what I've read on the DSM forum, a close match is the 60mm super 40 wheel. You can't really go wrong with any HX40 wheel though.

"racedaymechanic" makes one that adapts to the stock DP. If you have a Volvo turbo, the flange on the turbine could be different.

Nice, billet comp wheel, 10 blade turbine wheel. I would get that compressor wheel rebalanced, new seals etc, run it.

Its a 16 cm housing, a bit big but you can at least tune it out due to being a DS4.

16cm2 turbine housing is not bad at all. Should still work nicley with stock tuning assuming he's got 4:10 gears.

Run a 3 bar MAP sensor till you get a tuned ECM, this way you won't defuel. About 18 psi is more then enough

no hx 40 came with a wheel below 58mm, we ran the same turbo as that one with a cranked .310" IP, anything under 1700 rpm was smokey and laggy with the 16cm2, although we work with our truck... maybe for someone with a play toy it might be good.... keep in mind the guys running the cko40w are still running a 35/40 hybrid, a 35 turbine wheel with the 40 compressor and 16cm2 turbine housing, easier to spool up, a true 40 has the bigger, heavier turbine and takes more drive to spin it up.....

Jorge, I thought the limp mode was caused by high intake air temps, not boost levels.

Jorge, I thought the limp mode was caused by high intake air temps, not boost levels.

Both can cause the ECM to go into limp mode. The 3 bar MAP sensor is identical in appearance as the stock 2 bar map sensor located on top of the intake manifold. Just search for gm 3 bar map sensor. I got one from eBay and it worked great.

Back