• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HOLLY EFIN SHEET, Why do I Keep blowin axle seals?? No its not the breather

mgray

Reaction score
I've only owned the truck 2months less a year. When I first bought it, the rear pax side brake assembly was caked in sludge, apparently from gear oil mixing with whatever. Replaced both side seals. Apprx 5000km later I noticed (could see spray and smell it) rear drivers side seal leaking. Fixed it. Approx 5000km later center seal leaked (oil sprayed up under bed). When fixing it, noticed both sides were wet. Fixed all 3. 2 months later, sides wet again!! This time tried GM seals. Now...about 5000km later...

Changing engine oil, thought I'd check the rear diff level. Low! Slight dampness seen thru brake adjustment hole. No spray noticed in the wheel well or smell though. Center pinion seal seems to be seeping still.

WTF???!!!! Breather is NOT clogged.

Using 80w90 and I have a G80 code, don't think anything's been swapped.

Ideas? Thanks

also the side seals need to be very carefully placed in. they are 2 piece design and if you dont do them carefully they will leak again. how many miles on the truck. the pinion may have a gouge in it causing the leak there. with that check your axle tube when doing the side seals for a gouge also. it only takes a little space and you'll leak.

Back