• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HIR lights installed...

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Got my HIR low beams in this morning.... (John Deere low beam mod)...

I did them one at a time so that I could see the old Sylvania vs the new Toshiba.

There is a definite difference in brightness between the two bulbs - I am sure this difference will be more exaggerated at night time.

A guy from another forum that is very well respected says the brights are more impressive than the dims so I am definitely going to spring for the HIR brights.

Then I will disable the DRL lights and run the 'All 4 headlight' mod.....gonna be like daylight with my brights on.....LOL....gotta love living out in the middle of nowhere....

BTW - I did take pics comparing the HIR to the Sylvania lights but the pics don't do the new bulbs justice for some reason....my camera and I don't get along very well...

The camera will probably pick up the difference if you are taking a picture straight into the headlights, or a few degrees away if its not too late to take another.

Hi chris do you kow of any where in Canada we can buy HIR bulbs, i bought them out of U.S but with the exchange now they are pricey, i run them in my sub with clear headlights and a wiring harness and the results are excellent , want to do the same for my truck

I stuck one of the summit diode kits in a few years back that light all four headlights on high beam. I like it, cheap and easy mod. The DRL's in my truck self-terminated on their own a while back, not sure why.

I drove with these lights last night. What a huge difference!

The lights are plug and play after you use side cutters to *slighty* modify one of the huge tabs on the new light.

If you are interested in HIR lights do a Google search and read until your heart's content...

I bought mine at the John Deere dealership in the closest city - you can do a Google search for the correct part number.

I will need to order my high beams off of ebay or another online vendor - not sure on a Canadian supplier for the high beams...

After we made a run on these about 2 years back didn't JD jack the price up from $10 to more like $25 or $30?

For $10, these were perhaps the most cost effective thing I ever did. Not so sure I'd feel the same way at 2 or 3 times the cost.

The JD part number is AH211917 for those interested. (This is the low beam, can't get a high beam through JD as far as I know).

Even at $30 they are worth it IMO....

I had to fork out over $600 last week to replace a bumper cover on our 2000 Jimmy because of a deer. Had my wife seen the deer a few seconds earlier there would have been no issue....needless to say, the Jimmy will be getting them as well....as long as they use 9005/9006 I suppose...

I was ordering the one from JD at $12 each but when I went to pick them up, they want $30 each. The dealer did not even budge eventhough I showed them the order confirmation. So I did not buy them.

After careful consideration of cost for about 1 year and almost pull the trigger with HIR, I went with HID. The HID that I bought for $100 now is only about $75 with lifetime warranty. It is almost pnp, not as easy as HIR but if you can move the PMD to become FSD on the bumper, you can install it.

Brighter light definitely help. We drove our burb for long distance trip 500 to 2000 miles, some of it goes in the evening time.

you dont have to change the wiring harness to get a benefit from HIRS but it helps lots, you will only have relay voltage running through that expensive light switch so it won t burn out (feel how hot it gets ) also you get all 4 lights on on high beam . HIRS clear headlights and a harness make a lousy lighting system into a good one, that is capable of allowing you to drive around 3000 lb moose ! they also dont annoy the crap out of oncoming traffic as HIDS do

the one thing that will not help ,is running high wattage bulbs with the original harness . been there , no better light and they fail prematurely (probably not running in the right heat range because they cant get enough juice) :nonod:

Here are the pics.

Pic 1 is with the driver's side HIR and passenger side Sylvania.

Pic 2 is the same as Pic 1 but at a different angle - obviously the difference looks exaggerated due to the angle.

Pic 3 is with both HIR lights.

I'll get some night time pics whenever possible.....

Attachments

• DSC02602ED.jpg
    DSC02602ED.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02603ED.jpg
    DSC02603ED.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02604ED.jpg
    DSC02604ED.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 18
Back