• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Only Blower Motor

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Just high. No low or medium.

Any ideas why? I don't want to lose the blower motor in the middle of a snowstorm.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I posted in that one thread, but I never fix stuff unless the truck wont run it seems.. I still have just high setting, so if it gives you any peace of mind that it wont go out until you getter fixed :)

I had one of my switches start smoking once. That incident has encouraged me to keep a small fire extinguisher in all our vehicles now - within handy reach of the driver. (wifes is on the center hump - havent decided where mine shall live in the burb yet)

on mine the diode was blown (part of the resistor)

If the motor stops spinning the 'diode' looking thing blows. It is actually a Thermal fuse. This prevents a locked up blower motor from burning the truck down as the air cooled resistors would overheat and melt otherwise.

I illustrate how to test the resistor pack. Circle is the tester and the line are the test leads. Test the fuses first and the resistor wire coils next. They should all have a reading. An open means the resistors or fuses have quit.

You need to find out why before you replace it. Loose wire, failing blower motor... Because if the motor stops the fuses will burn out again.

Fuse test:

test fuse.jpg

Resistor wire test, coils:

resistor test.jpg

What year was that off of? I'm pretty sure my 96 only had 1 diode/fuse and I had high only. It went out all at once when I turned the fan off quickly while waiting for the glows. I might have saved it I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

It went out all at once when I turned the fan off quickly while waiting for the glows. I might have saved it I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

So if your fan is on while the glow cycle is operating, you blow your climate control switch......funny thing cause I have a "BRAND NEW" head control and the 2nd speed mysteriously stopped working....and I did shut it off while attempting a ice cold first start of the day, which I needed to jump/boost and tighten up a driver side ground cable on the batt.....HMMMMM?????

Last edited:
You can see the actual "Blown" Diode and know which speed isn't working??

Yea I've changed a few in my rigs lifetime....Thanks for the info AK

Louis

So where exactly is this resistor block? Get at from below? Remove dash faces?

From that diagram it appeared to be at the top of the dash?

Shown is the 1993 resistor pack. Testing is the same for newer model units with more speeds - 4 resistor coils and the different design of only 1 Thermal fuse. Good pic to post, AK.

No you can't tell by looking at them as corrosion makes it look bad but it is good.

1993 is behind glove box and a relay pack on top of the HVAC unit. The bolts require a wrench and time to get the stubborn tight fit one out.

As the other threads show check the main HVAC power connector for melting and add a extra ground to the blower motor.

Perhaps it would just be easier to mount a better type aftermarket resistor 12v switch? Knob perhaps.??

Think it takes more than 20a?

Perhaps it would just be easier to mount a better type aftermarket resistor 12v switch? Knob perhaps.??

Think it takes more than 20a?

you need to use the factory type, the air flow (hot or cold) cools the resistor for the fan speed, one of the knob type (dimmer switch) would overheat and fail or burn.

Back