• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Idle delay for remote start

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we all know how slow our trucks heat up thats why we put in the high idle, right. Well I for one hate scraping ice off my glass so i put in a remote start. All good but it doesn't heat up very well without the high idle on but you don't want a stone cold motor going from 0 to 1500 rpm and what good is a remote start if you have to go out shortly after it starts to flip the high idle switch.:mad2: So this is how I fixed it. I use a TDR (time delay relay) I install it between the high idle switch and the power sorce. Now before I get out of the truck, I turn on the heat and the high idle switch. When i remote start the truck, it idles for 2 min to get the oil flowing then the adjustabe TDR kicks up the idle.:thumbsup:

Hear is the link to the TDR I used.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/basic-instructions.php

Wire the swithc to the L terminal. I used the ACC wire in the ignition harness as the trigger. The TDR is adjustable so use a stop watch, light bulb and a battery on the bench to play with the timing. I ended up with 2min 23sec
It also works for you OBD2 guys with a negitive trigger. You just wire it according to the first diagrham.

Hope you like it. Maybe some one an move this to the how to's or leave it either way.

Nice job. Heard people talk of the idea, but this is the first one I have seen actually working on a truck. Thanks for sharing!

Nick

All good but it doesn't heat up very well without the high idle on but you don't want a stone cold motor going from 0 to 1500.
Says who? Diesel gensets go from 0-3600 RPM after start up and full load as soon as the turbo's spool up. Generally in under 60 seconds for a slow one. Some use compressed air to spool the turbo's before they get hit with full electrical load.

Cold high idle comes on to help the engine run cold.

I don't see any reason to delay the 1500 RPM after startup.

Your right they do, but they don't do it COLD. Every one I have set up or serviced has a block heater that is on 24 7 keeping it at about 65F. I personally don't want my engine going through that abuse thats why I did this and shared.

Hey Veg,

This is an interesting one - i have a Viper Remote start setup on my 98 Suburban. This is obviously an OBD2. I have done the high idle mod - but i can not get the two to play together.

If i do a remote start and have high idle set - it ignores it and just runs at the standard revs. If i try and turn on the high idle whilst it is still in Remote mode i.e. no key in the ignition it ignores it as well.

As soon as i put the key in the ignition it is fine and the revs jump up - any ideas where to look for this ?

Craig

That is odd. When you say"put the key in" do you mean just put it in? Or turn it? I guess I would have to ask where your picking up your ground to the switches? Is it a spot that for some reason is not grounded until the key is in? Second I would have to ask, when you installed the remote start, did you use both ignition leads? I wonder if it has something to do with the Passcode system. Let me know.

Back