• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High idle and cold starts

saturntech95

Reaction score
So it's been getting pretty cold pretty fast around here, I absolutely hate getting into a cold truck so lately I have been walking out to my truck in the morning starting it then flipping the high idle on and go back inside. Now I am planning on getting a remote start for my truck so the question is can I flip my high idle switch on when I get out of my truck for the night then when I hit the remote start in the morning it will already be on. Or is this a big nono idea I got here?

I have read of many who do this. All older carb engines would start on high idle, no?

Maybe run synthetic oil in it to make you feel better about it. A wise recommendation anyhow if you're not already. :) Much smoother quieter quicker starts.

I am actually thinking I'm gonna go to a 5-40 synthetic for the winter. With the high volume oil pump I have preasure before the engine even starts so thats no concern to me.

Most old carb and DB2 IP's required you to floor it to allow the high idle cam or solenoid to set.

If you plug in your truck for the block heater on a timer, a second timer can be used for a ceramic disc heater thrown in the cab. This will solve morning window frost and allow easy snow removal. Use the driver side door for the cord so you don't forget to unplug it.

The above is better than a remote start option or starting and going back inside. For both unintended operation, theft, and who is watching the gauges? The newer stuff may shutdown with no oil pressure. Loose an oil line, clip for the line, squirrel that ate a heater hose... No one there to see the red lights on till something expensive happens.

Back