• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HID Headlights

mangus580

Reaction score
Have any of you tried any of the HID conversion kits for our trucks?

If so, both beams? just low? just high?

What brand?

Are you happy with them?

Thanks!

Yep - love 'em - send a note to James (MadMaxx) and he'llhave answers to all your questions!

Just lows, with a 4-headlight hi-beam mod...

But I don't know much about 'em - which ones fit best and what colour is brightest - James (Mad Maxx) is the man for that stuff. Nick (Unit 453) is a big-time light afficionado, too.

Hi and low, with the high beam mod.

Night and day difference.

I had cheap chinese kits. Work just fine, as long as you care about polarities and good grounds.

If you put Hi & Low, you absolutely need the high beam mod. If not, you will experience a "black hole" when you'll swap from low to High, as the HID bulbs need few seconds before being fully bright.

I have them in my lows, with the all4onhi mod. I got middle of the road hids, not crazy blinding bright but ten times better than what I had. I just ordered the high beams kit because the lows are nice, but when I go to high they make my Silverstar ultra high beams look dim and yellow. I would recommend them to anybody, I drive dark roads at night alot, and I have always been unhappy with my lights and tried every kind of super bulb made.
I have also considered for years buying the euro style headlight housings. I like how they look but I question if they'd work any better than the factory fluted design. Right now I'm up in the air over whether to replace my dull headlights with new oem or euro-style diamond cut lights. And yes I've tried buffing my lenses, it helps but when the refelctor surface inside gets old and dull theres nothing you can do.
So if anyones got the euro lights and has an opinion, love to hear it. I found some for under $100 on the bay, includes parking and markers. I like the look of the clear front markers on a black truck. But I wont do something just for looks, its gotta have a functional advantage also. I'm funny that way.

Where can I find info on the high beam mod.... not finding it in searches. (I know the concept, just not the best way of going about it)

I take that back now that I am reading the instructions..... not paying $45 for THAT.... especially when they use scotch locks!!

here's one:

Got a price for 4500k and ballasts for a set of tsx projectors?

:smile5:

I have a project on the go....:thumbsup:

I don't Carry OEM Stuff. Ebay is your Best Bet for that. Get 2 Philips 85122 D2S Bulbs, and 2 Matsushita Ballasts. Those Ballasts are 100% Waterproof.

I used DDM Slim system from DDMTuning. I bought them a while back when the price was way up there.

I put the 55W system on the Lo Beam only but I heard that 35W is also good.
With its brightness, I hardly ever need to use the high beam.

Where can I find info on the high beam mod.... not finding it in searches. (I know the concept, just not the best way of going about it)

here it is, how to wire a relay : High beam kit wiring..jpg

I have also considered for years buying the euro style headlight housings. I like how they look but I question if they'd work any better than the factory fluted design. Right now I'm up in the air over whether to replace my dull headlights with new oem or euro-style diamond cut lights. And yes I've tried buffing my lenses, it helps but when the refelctor surface inside gets old and dull theres nothing you can do.
So if anyones got the euro lights and has an opinion, love to hear it. I found some for under $100 on the bay, includes parking and markers. I like the look of the clear front markers on a black truck. But I wont do something just for looks, its gotta have a functional advantage also. I'm funny that way.

Not all of them produce a nice beam. I tried several patterns before finding one which is fine. Though, you may consider that the polycarbonate glasses turn a bit yellowish when aging.
a link to the ones I find to be fine : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300420223016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Check carefully the lenses, it's a good idea to waterproof them by adding a bid of clear RTV.
Other than that, they do perform really fine.
As for the look, check my album, especially page 2 :D

Last edited:
Back