• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hey, E4OD guys........

Anubis

Being fat sucks
Reaction score
People's Republic of Michiganistan, United Sociali
My mom has a 1995 Fleetwood Class C on a '95 E350 frame. 460 and E4OD. My transmission guy put a switch on it to lock up the torque converter in any gear at any speed (she does not use this, brake pedal disables it). I have installed a switch that reverses the logic on the OD so it's default setting is off when you turn the ignition on, she knows about this and only engages the OD above 50 mph.

I had the Transmission flushed and the filter changed august of 2008, it has been driven approx 6000 miles since. it has 60,XXX miles on it. Last time I drove it it shifted strong ...... I-40 in AZ holding 80 mph on the grades .....

My mom called me yesturday and told me the transmission was slipping, my mom is often wrong about these things so I ask her a bunch of questions and it turns out that it is not slipping but rather it is not shifting. It holds 1st gear for forever and a day and then gives her whiplash when is shifts into second. wont shift into 3rd until 45 mph ... and then other times it works fine like it always has. I had her BF check the fluid anyways and he said it is full and a good pinkish reddish color, does not smell like burned wood chips.... and no gritty feel to it.

She recently had to drive threw a wash that was a little rough and this is when it started acting up.

is it possible that she ripped some wires loose and it periodically goes into limp mode?

I have also read that a worn out ignition switch cause a similar problem in the 4L80E ........ could it cause this problem with an E4OD? I ask this because she is indeed been having problems with the ignition switch and this vehicle used to sit around a lot, I noticed the problem with the switch when I gave it to her in August 2008 (traded for her junk F150 and 5'er)... you have to fiddle with it to get it to stop chiming after you turn it off and take out the key, some times it stays on even though you can feel it click when you turn the key to the off position ...... going to have her change it anyways but we were hoping it would hold till my next visit in April......

I despise the E40D. Its expensive to repair, and not all that great. But if that's whats in there then so be it.

These trans are known to run hot for one thing. Adding a secondary trans cooler inline will help avoid any problems in the long run if this isn't the issue already.

Was it an under body wash as well? Could be that water got into those oh-so-sensitive electronics embracing the trans and is messing with it causing temporary shorts. Could be the OD and TC lockup switches are malfunctioning.

by "WASH" I mean she was out in the Arizona desert after a heavy rain and the water washed part of the road ....... in the desert thats called a Wash.

problem was the poor connection in the ignition switch. Replaced it and its all better now. I sent her to Blythe to get it fixed and paid for it over the phone ..... cost $75 for a switch and a new tumbler.

Learn something new everyday lol. Over here in Jersey when someone says they went though a "WASH" they mean car-wash. Whether by cheerleaders from the high schools looking to raise money for there team or by one of them automated ones at the gas stations.

Either way, glad to hear the problem was fixed quickly and easily :thumbsup: and it wasn't anything expensive.

Back