• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Here's a wierd one for you

packratt

Reaction score
Posted this about a year ago (1/24/08) on the old forum:

Monday night/morning it was about 9F outside. I got woke up by the horns (Hella Superhorns) blaring on the truck. Now you gotta understand this was at my brothers and one of his ex's boys is a worthless piece of druggie S**t and there is no love lost between them so I wasn't just going to step outside and kill the horns. Look and the only gun downstairs is a .22. Holler upstairs for him to grab something bigger. Now I wearing the shorts I'm sleeping in, step into some boots, grab an insulated vest (remember it's 9F outside) and pistol. Hit the spot and open the door and there is no one there.

Start cussing pop the hood to kill the power to the Hellas and the noise stops. Disconnect the power to the Hellas shut the hood and the stock horn starts up, guess I couldn't hear it over the Hellas. By this time I'm starting to turn into a popsicle so I say f-it I'll pull the horn fuse grab a flashlight and start fumbling with fuses. With the fuse gone that killed the racket. Several hours later put everything back together just like it was and everything worked like it was supposed to.

Any idea what the problem is?

The only other time we had a mystery horn was several years ago and unfortunately I missed it. A buddy was up there and everyone was inside BSing and watching TV. Suddenly they heard a horn blowing. Now the house is a mile off the road up a driveway you need 4x4 part of the year and the nearest neighbor is a considerable distance away. Again guns are grabbed and they go to see what is going on. Our friend was driving a Ford Cabover van like the Scooby-Do Mystery Machine. They get outside and the horn of that van is blowing. They get down there and a coon has climbed into the van through the vent window, eaten a bag of Hershey's minatures and is on the steering wheel trying to get back out the vent window and blowing the horn with his rear feet. The coon finally got out and away. They were too busy laughing to shoot it.

The :cuss::cuss:G*( DA&^ thing :cuss::cuss: decided to do it again this morning. Had not done it since the first time. This time was 3F outside at 430 in the morning and I had to get up at 530 to go to work.

Put on some pants and coat and step into boots. Go out to truck pop hood and horns stop. Pull hot wire for Hellas. Close hood and go back to bed. About time I stop shivering the stock horn starts. Follow same dressing routine go out and pull the FN fuse. Go back to bed and try to catch a few more minutes sleep.

Last edited:
None, and fortunately nothing's been heard out of the crackhead for some time. Last we heard he was stripping out copper. Keep hoping to hear about him on the news.

I'd be checking for bare wires somewhere that might be making contact to ground to close a circuit. ...maybe. It's been a long time, but it seems like the horn contacts in the steering wheel made a contact to ground on the last one I worked on (which was 30 years ago).

More suspect would be the contacts in the steering wheel. ...might need to open up and replace some pieces in there. ...or stretch out the spring(s) that keeps the two halves apart. Disconnect the battery if you have an air bag.

dirty contacts in a relay or horn button with cold can make these oddites happen, also chafed wire making intermittent contact, takes power to make the horn blow, start at horn & work way back, if you don't want to wake the rest of the hood put meter or test lite in place of horn and jiggle/wiggle stuff until you find the short, tap the relay & steering wheel, look in steering column wires for short there if pulled tite when truck was built maybe those wires over time now have issues.

Did you buy parts off of a wrecked vehicle in which someone died?

I'd be careful; the horn is calling you to come into the light.

Had that happen some years ago on a 97 Lesabre, ended up being the contact pad in the steering wheel.

Was awakened by the neighbors banging on my door, the car was in the garage.

Had the exact same thing happen to me a few times. Both last winter and this. Notice only in winter and only when real cold. Actually had the neighbor wake me up pounding on the door once. And one of my kids wake me up. I didn't hear it.... Sound sleeper I guess. But you're right about shivering out in the cold pulling the relay. Ordered a horn button, and new relay from LMC trucks and problem solved.

Back