• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with my rotors please

mgray

Reaction score
So after a couple weeks of bad shaking when I apply light to moderate braking at highway speeds(hard braking seems to control the shaking some), I think it's time to service the brakes.

I've noticed heat cracks on both rotors, but the pax side is worst. There is also rust on some spots where the pads should be rubbing, as well as I think the pax caliper is sticking as I have a slight pull to the right, and when I brake hard it then pulls to the left. Alignment has been done and is good. So I'm thinking warped rotors, at least on the pax side.

Anyways, I have the factory shop manual and it actually doesn't help much so here I am. It tells me to use a wheel puller to separate the hub from the rotor, but my searches on the forum seem to show it's much more difficult than that. And I'm confused.

People talk about hammering the wheel bolts, and removing the rotor from behind, with the bearing in it. Whaaaat?

After I remove the large center bolt, do I also remove the 2 bolts from the back of the spindle, then use the wheel puller to remove the hub? What's this I hear about hammering the studs, that doesn't seem to be hammering in the direction I want to take them off?

Any help much appreciated as I'd like to not have to take this to someone.

Thanks

I hit the studs out with a big center punch ,using a vise grips to hold it,so as not to mangle your hand. When reassembling I use an old rotor underneath the new one,so you can pound the studs in easier,I also run a nut and washer on each stud and tighten each one to make sure the studs are in all the way,and ensures that the hub and rotor are nice and tight. I assume you already know that the wheel bearing,and rotor come of the truck as one unit.

I assume you already know that the wheel bearing,and rotor come of the truck as one unit.

You mean the hub and rotor come off as one right? That I know, and the bearing is in the hub too right?

When I've banged out all the studs, does the hub just come out of the rotor easily? Or is the hub held in by something else?

Thanks

Once the studs are out the rotor will come off easily unless its very rusty. The bearing and hub are a sealed unit, I guess you could press it apart,but you want it to stay together.

Back