• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with Ford 4.6L

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
Lately, when starting, I'd have to turn the ignition all the way forward...It wouldnt engage unless it was all the way...I thought it was kinda odd and figured something was going on. 3 times within the past 2 weeks, I'd turn the key and nada...All the lights come on, CD starts playing but no start...And by all the way forward, I mean usually, half an inch past the accessory, it'd fire right up. I feel like I'm twisting my wrist completely around....

Tonight, car is sitting dead at the grocery store right now.

I'd go out and get a solenoid if that would fix it...I know you can jump it off the solenoid but I have no idea where it is on this car.

I pulled the battery, brought it to autozone, charge is fine, thinking that was the problem. Rule that out. Went back to the car, hooked the battery up and all the lights come on but no start...

Starter solenoid?

Where's it located at?

Ignition switch? Like, something shorted or failed inside the steering column to where it would cause the ignition not to work correctly? I'm at a loss here and I'd like to bring the car home before someone steals this one too.

Attachments

• HPIM0275.jpg
    HPIM0275.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
  • HPIM0276.jpg
    HPIM0276.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0277.jpg
    HPIM0277.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0278.jpg
    HPIM0278.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 8
Sorry bout your luck Nick, Is by chance the solenoid on the fenderwell somewhere?
Try to follow the battery cables.
Also take a hammer and tap the starter, sometimes they freeze up.

Bad thing about a predominatley GM site is no one knows Fords!

Search tells solenoid is either on top of starter or close by on the fender well. Good luck. Wish i was closer to help.

Solenoid is supposedly attached to the starter, which is attached to the bell housing on the tranny...In other words, outta my reach...

I know the starters can freeze up and banging on it was my first option, however, I havent gotten that far yet.

Judging on the way the ignition as felt the last few days, I'm inclined to think that the problem lies somewhere in the ignition in the steering column. I wouldnt even know where to start to diagnose this myself. I guess I could revert back to the caveman days and bang on it and see if that works...:confused:

Jumping dosent work. Just tried it. In fact, it does nothing. Wont crank or do anything. Guess I'll get it towed.

Hmmm... I would have thought it would be the solenoid, I know all our old fords use to eat them up. I would say i is in the switch then, good luck if it like all the Fords we owned it won't be to easy there is alot goin on in that column.

Checked it out this morning....The starter relays are getting power, which tells me the ignition is working fine. The power is stopping at the solenoid. We havent tested it yet though but we're thinking thats the problem.

Glad its simple, tearing apart the column would suck. Let us know.

BTW i just noticed your sig, YOUR Bike was stolen ? WTF???

Yep, stolen...That really upset me man...

Anyways, I suppose it could be the Neutral safety switch too as I've been told. That could fail causing it to have similar symptoms.

Hey one more thing I remember with our old fords was this amn roll over switch that went out, it waas tellin the computer that the truck was upside down and all the power was shut down, it pretty much sucked seein as how we replaced verything else first to no avail and then findin out about the roll over switch. Just a thought.

I was wrong. I thought it sounded like the ignition switch... :eek::D

Nick, if it helps, attached is a pic of the starter on my Cougar. It's almost definately in the same place and orientation on your Vic, although I don't know if you'll be able to get to yours throught the fender well like I can on the Cougar with the liner removed.

Attachments

• DSC04231.jpg
    DSC04231.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10
We crawled underneath it and banged on it. Nada. We also tried to jump it off the solenoid. Nada. The starter is getting power, as is the solenoid. That tells me that its not in the ignition system. Stater's out now and a new one is going in tomorrow. Crossing my fingers thats the problem.

Neutral safety switch....I thought of that too. But if that was bad, I dont think power would make it to the starter or solenoid would it?

If it was the NSS (AKA Digital Transmission Range Sensor), you wouldn't get power at the starter on the smaller engage wire. It goes from the ignition switch, to the DTR to the starter relay in the high current relay center. You'll always have +12 on the BIG wire.

Starter solenoid was the problem. Thanks all for the help but she's back up and running strong again. Now I can beat on that for a while and let the truck sit.

Back