• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help New puller

wisranger41

Reaction score
ok here we go ....im getting a truck here next week its a 92 chevy 3/4 ton wirh a rebilt 350 . ok shape .ill be putting it in truck pulls next year ....what i need to know is what gear i start out in and what the 4 wheel drive needs to be in ..4 hight ..or .4 low ....iv been to alot of truck pulls and iv all ways wanted to do it...and now i am just need some pointers hope u all can help me out ty

We have a couple of southern Wisc. pullers here that probably will chime in. Z79Outlaw and Durallymax. This time of year it's hard to get guys together because of all the outdoor stuff going on for everyone.
By the way, Welcome to The Truck Stop!

4 low, third gear. Get as much weight up front as you can, staying within your class's weight limit.

Also, make sure that you have a stout hitch, attached as far forward to the frame as possible. Make sure that the hitch height is at the highest allowable.

How is your suspension currently set up? Do you have traction bars? If IFS, be sure to drop the torsion bars down, sleeve the tie rods and maybe strap that centerlink.

BudTX ty for replying to my post ...it does not have traction bars yet ..im picking up the truck next week ..ill put some pic up on here so you all can see what i have to work with to get it ready im hope'in to pull it once or twice yet this year ....im hope'in to get some pointers this weekend at the boaz wisconsin fun days truck pull and next weekend is the Churning Dirt in Richland Center Wi here is the link if anyone would like to check it out http://www.churningdirt.com/ ..Like i said im new to all this iv been to alot of truck pulls and now im getting the u know what up to do it ..lol...

but what i do know about the truck is a Chevy it has a 92 body sits on a 88 frame ..and it has a rebilt 350 mortor....i know it sits High in the rear ..but like i said ill get some pic on here .ty for the help all

turbos

? this it for who ever..when u r pulling do u have to keep the turbos cool or is it cooled by cold air intake ..??????:driving:

Not that i know alot about sled pulling, or do it very often. All i can say is dont be scared out of the gate, Rev her up and let it loose, Get as much speed as you can, and keep the tires spinning in 4low. When i did it last year i got worried out the gate then at the 100foot put it to the wood, Dont do that. If somethings going to break let it break and make it better for next time. Keep it tight and staight.

well all i have the truck now going to take pic and put on here i would really like your feed back on how i can get it up and ready to pull im hoping i can pull it at lest once this month at the county fair ..like i said im poing to take some pic snd post them on here ,,,and ty Al video looked sweet

ok all have the pic of the truck i would like to get going on please give me feed back on this i would like to put it in open class but i would really like it if u all could give me some pointers where i could start ..it has a 1988 fram with a 1992 body with a 350 rebilt 3/4 tome dana rear end so ill post the pic ..ty all

Need help ..wish i new more about how this all works ......Here r the SW Wis OpenStock Ruels ..........................
1. Must be factory production vehicle. Must have factory functional front suspension. Engine limit - 480 C.I. limit (5 C.I. leeway).

2. Must be sheet metal bodies. Fiberglass hoods are allowed. Arlen & Cindy Latham’s truck is grandfathered in.

3. Flatbeds allowed. Fender cut outs allowed. ( No inner fenders needed).

4. Maximum wheel base 133”. Multiple shocks, block or solid suspension, and traction bars are allowed.

5. Must have windshield and rear window, glass or Plexiglas. Vehicle may not be stripped beyond safe operating condition - hoods, fenders, and doors.

6. Must have brakes. Must be able to skid 2 tires.

7. Exhaust must exit under chassis. Headers allowed.

8. Engine must be in stock location, or no less than 14” from center of front axle to the front of the bell housing.

9. No aluminum heads or aluminum blocks allowed. After market cast iron heads allowed, any cast iron head accepting stock valve train components within 3 degrees of stock valve angle.

10. Any camshaft, single-carb - except Holley Dominator, or dominator based carb. Must be of stock configurations - tunnel rams, pro rams, etc. are not permitted. Any cast aluminum intake directly accepting single 4150 carb. No weld on flanges or adapters. Can not be capable of accepting a dominator carb. No sheet metal intakes. No blower or hemi heads allowed. Engines must be naturally aspirated.

11. Any ignition except magneto allowed.

12. After market radiators allowed.

13. Electric fuel pumps allowed.

14. Scatter shield required. No safety blankets, no 1/4” plate steel shield allowed.

15. All safety equipment required - loops, scatter shield, rear axle covers, and kill switch. All kill switches must shut off ignition and fuel pump.

16. Weight added to front of vehicle may not exceed 60” from center of front axle.

17. Adjustable hitch allowed. Height 26” maximum measured at point of hook. No chain hooks. Hitch height checked with weights on.

18. Hitches must be rigid in all directions. Draw bar to be minimum of 27% of truck wheel base from center of rear axle to point of hook and have a clear hook.

19. Maximum tire size 35x12.50/15 or 16.5” tires. Maximum 10” rims inside bead to bead. No duals. Must be DOT approved tire. No alterations to tread allowed. No cyped tires. If wheel tread is offset, center line of front tire must run within tread of back tire.

20. No nitrous oxide.

21. All trucks must use stock transmission case and stock transfer case housing. Any internal modification is allowed.

22. Kill switch must be located in the rear center of the vehicle (maximum of 6” left or right of center, maximum of 24” above the point of hook). Must have 2” steel ring.

23. Drive train of 1 ton or less.

24. Any big rear end allowed. No planetary. No aluminum center sections.

25. Must also follow general rules and guidelines.

OK Dont Understand some things here ..SW Wis Ruels for Open Class Pulling trucks .........................
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. Must be factory production vehicle. Must have factory functional front suspension. Engine limit - 480 C.I. limit (5 C.I. leeway).

2. Must be sheet metal bodies. Fiberglass hoods are allowed. Arlen & Cindy Latham’s truck is grandfathered in.

3. Flatbeds allowed. Fender cut outs allowed. ( No inner fenders needed).

4. Maximum wheel base 133”. Multiple shocks, block or solid suspension, and traction bars are allowed.

5. Must have windshield and rear window, glass or Plexiglas. Vehicle may not be stripped beyond safe operating condition - hoods, fenders, and doors.

6. Must have brakes. Must be able to skid 2 tires.

7. Exhaust must exit under chassis. Headers allowed.

8. Engine must be in stock location, or no less than 14” from center of front axle to the front of the bell housing.

9. No aluminum heads or aluminum blocks allowed. After market cast iron heads allowed, any cast iron head accepting stock valve train components within 3 degrees of stock valve angle.

10. Any camshaft, single-carb - except Holley Dominator, or dominator based carb. Must be of stock configurations - tunnel rams, pro rams, etc. are not permitted. Any cast aluminum intake directly accepting single 4150 carb. No weld on flanges or adapters. Can not be capable of accepting a dominator carb. No sheet metal intakes. No blower or hemi heads allowed. Engines must be naturally aspirated.

11. Any ignition except magneto allowed.

12. After market radiators allowed.

13. Electric fuel pumps allowed.

14. Scatter shield required. No safety blankets, no 1/4” plate steel shield allowed.

15. All safety equipment required - loops, scatter shield, rear axle covers, and kill switch. All kill switches must shut off ignition and fuel pump.

16. Weight added to front of vehicle may not exceed 60” from center of front axle.

17. Adjustable hitch allowed. Height 26” maximum measured at point of hook. No chain hooks. Hitch height checked with weights on.

18. Hitches must be rigid in all directions. Draw bar to be minimum of 27% of truck wheel base from center of rear axle to point of hook and have a clear hook.

19. Maximum tire size 35x12.50/15 or 16.5” tires. Maximum 10” rims inside bead to bead. No duals. Must be DOT approved tire. No alterations to tread allowed. No cyped tires. If wheel tread is offset, center line of front tire must run within tread of back tire.

20. No nitrous oxide.

21. All trucks must use stock transmission case and stock transfer case housing. Any internal modification is allowed.

22. Kill switch must be located in the rear center of the vehicle (maximum of 6” left or right of center, maximum of 24” above the point of hook). Must have 2” steel ring.

23. Drive train of 1 ton or less.

24. Any big rear end allowed. No planetary. No aluminum center sections.

25. Must also follow general rules and guidelines.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
This i dont get >>>>( 14. Scatter shield required. No safety blankets, no 1/4” plate steel shield allowed.)

A scatter shield protects the driver in case the flywheel comes apart.

images

Are you planning on running in an Open class? I suspect that you are going to have a better chance in Work Stock, unless you have built a badass dedicated pulling truck.

well thats what i would like to is run open class .
Work stock what is that ????..sorry but u know im just new to all of this

Back