• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help. Need solution to hold down CDR tube on AT&T installation.

Big T

Reaction score
The CDR is leaking at the grommet creating a mess on that side of the engine. Yes I can replace. The grommet, but that won't solve the problem. In the stock GM-turbo configuration there is a bracket attached to the CDR tube which bolts to the back of the intake side of the turbo. That bracket has nowhere to attach when you have an A Team Turbo. As a result, the CDR and tube just rock freely in the valve cover grommet leading to an oily mess. So I'm looking for solutions from the McGyvers here and no I don't have any welding equipment.

Here's a pic of my current installation:

1361128232_zps9b471832.jpg

5/8" Heater hose inserted in the 3/4" coupler at the CDR and routed in place of the metal tubing. Some adaption to the 90* elbow's parts will have to be done depending on the intake/turbo one uses. But nothing serious. At least, nothing requiring stitches.:hihi:

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

You got nothing on oily messes! :hihi:

Shorten the length of pipe at the intake elbow so the tube rests on the turbo. I bet you are into the hood insulation with that height.

Here is the 1995 and 1995 oily mess.

DSCN0548.jpg
100_3062.jpg

The compressor looks like it is angled upward. That's keeping the CDR tubing higher, as well - which is possibly making it hit the hood as mentioned above. Adjust the compressor and CDR tubing and see what happens.

I would also venture a guess that you do, in fact, need a new grommet. The rubber gets old and hard and doesn't seal as well. Add a very crooked CDR (because of hood impact) and you've got two things working together to make the mess.

The compressor looks like it is angled upward. That's keeping the CDR tubing higher, as well - which is possibly making it hit the hood as mentioned above. Adjust the compressor and CDR tubing and see what happens.

I would also venture a guess that you do, in fact, need a new grommet. The rubber gets old and hard and doesn't seal as well. Add a very crooked CDR (because of hood impact) and you've got two things working together to make the mess.

The compressor position is after I cut down the silicon hose connecting it to the intake manifold. That is about as far as I can get it down. I went out and further cut down the hose connecting the tube to the intake belows. There are two plastic adaptors there to make it connect, so I am limited. I measured and the tube/hose is as high as the K47 airbox. I placed duct tape with the sticky side up on the high point of the hose/tube and close the hood. It did not stick to the hood, indicating there was no contact. I separately tested the duct tape and it readily stuck to the insulation on the underside of the hood. The CDR itself readily rocks in the grommet, so I definitely need a new grommet.

Thin wall conduit works very nicely and can be bent to look very good, if you have a bender for conduit, the a couple of ose clamps and you have a nice solid set up.

Thin wall conduit works very nicely and can be bent to look very good, if you have a bender for conduit, the a couple of ose clamps and you have a nice solid set up.

Still does not provide a second attachment point to prevent wobbling. I also need some clearance from the intake side of the turbo to avoid metal-on-metal wear.

Back