• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! Need ideas. Died in subzero temps.

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Hello all. Need suggestions. Had my truck plugged in all night. Almost full treated tank of fuel. Drove about 20 miles to school. Parked. Then skipped a few time and died. Just cranks now. Jumped lp relay with scrap wire and the pump does run. Cranked to start and no fire. Walked to class but i will work on it after as much as possible in the cold. Will try lp jum with t valve next to see if liquid is coming. Will the truck run without lp relay plugged in and the terminals jump?

Suggestions? Thanks!

First see if there is fuel at the drain, if not it could be from gelled fuel to a plugged tank sock and every other LP/OPS problem. Also did you fuel up very recently?

Well i went back out before class and jumped the L/P relay with a scrap piece of wire. I opened the t-valve, no fuel. I opened the valve on top of the filter no fuel. Removed the filter (fuel in canister about 1/4 full) Filled up with some Diesel 911 i had, also added some to tank. Came out after class and jumped the LP again and got fuel out of the valve on the filter and t-valve. The truck fired right up.

Drove about 10 miles (about 15 minutes) and the truck lost power and conked out again. Jumped L/P relay and no fuel out of the valve on the filter or the t-valve. Pulled the filter, (canister was about 1/4 way full again, obviously running out of fuel now) Then jumped the L/P relay again with the filter totally removed, fuel came squirting right out. Re installed filter and primed system again. Fired right up and drove the rest of the way to work no issues.

I have about 135 miles since i last re-fueled. I also added Power Service (white bottle).

Does Power service have a shelf life? This bottle i was using so far all this season was from last year, i use the silver bottle in the summer.

Temps. were just under zero and will maybe hit 4 Fahrenheit today. Also the filter installed has about 1500 miles on it since replacement.

I am going to get a new filter on lunch and a new bottle of white Power Service and add a healthy amount. Also will top the tank of with fuel.

Not getting fuel to the IP. Do all the usuall stuff. I have no experience with gelled fuel so might be an issue. Check LP, blow out the lines, blow air back to sock with fuel cap off to clear sock. Could be sucking air too? Check rubber hoses at tank and back of FFM along with condition of the hard lines. Install clear tube in return to check for air.

Not getting fuel to the IP. Do all the usuall stuff. I have no experience with gelled fuel so might be an issue. Check LP, blow out the lines, blow air back to sock with fuel cap off to clear sock. Could be sucking air too? Check rubber hoses at tank and back of FFM along with condition of the hard lines. Install clear tube in return to check for air.

I will be doing this if it happens again. I went out at lunch and topped the tank off along with a new bottle of P/S dosed a little heavy.

I would have said the same, but then the fuel would have gelled before i drove the truck for a while right? I would think when its warm the heat of the engine would be enough from having the fuel gel?

If its gelling in the tank or lines before its warmed by engine or heater it could still starve.

biggest thing i have found is to get diesel from a place that goes through it alot. i'm dealing with the same temps you are. i havent added any additive but plan on it today. hopefully there ain't alot of water in your fuel

I got the feeling that the LP may be weak or inop so it works intermittently.

Of course, the OPS may contribute to it.

Make sure that the connector the LP is clean, that may be a simple issue.

Drove the truck about 60 miles since last night. Been totally fine so far. I do know my OPS is a NAPA brand junker, ive been procrastinating on getting a Delco and doing the MOD. I had a fuel pressure gauge set up but it stopped working a few days after install, i think the Diesel ruined it.

Back