• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP! I am not a mechanic!

makemeinfamous89

Reaction score
I have a 96 chevy 2500. 2wd. And I need to change the steering box, steering shaft, and basically the whole front end. O, and the exhaust. My friend gave me a 99 2500 just like mine. Everyone I've talked to says the parts are compatible but when I look online I can't get a straight answer. Please can anyone give me a straight answer

Steering gearbox and shafts should interchange no problem. May want to replace the hoses going to the box while you're at it, if corroded at all the nuts won't swivel on the steel lines and just twist the lines until they break.

When you say front end, keep in mind there are some significant differences between 2wd and 4wd models, like lower control arms that aren't interchangeable. Double check part #s as suggested before tearing into things

Welcome to TTS... The steering gearbox will interchange without a problem.. I agree with diesel amateur change your hoses... You're already into it better off saving a problem later.... I've done a lot of front end work on my truck lately... Tell us what all parts you're thinking of changing and we can guide you as to which ones will interchange and or which ones to replace with new.... As a side note do not I repeat do not buy tie rod ends ball joints pitman arm idler arm etc from a chain store like AutoZone or advance... Made that mistake.. they're crap had to change them again 6 months later.. get good ones from RockAuto

I got the truck for free. Its a 96 chevy 2500 2wd. The last owner did a whip-it and passed out at the wheel and went off the road. I was told there was front end damage but like I said I'm not a mechanic so I have no clue whats messed up. I'm staying at my friend's house and he gave me a 99 also 2wd. Since I'm staying here and have nothing but time on my hands I figured I'd switch out everything I can. I was told to change the pitman arm and control arm on both sides and the steering box and shaft and the distributor. Plus someone put a second fuel tank under the tool box and I want to make it my main tank so nobody can steal my gas. I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm gonna try. So if anyone has any pointers I'd love to hear them

Since you have people there that told you specifically to replace those parts, The guess is they know those parts were damaged.
There is a bunch of YouTube videos that walk you through what to do. Personally I prefer a Chiltons repair manual- and having that book in the truck at all times is a major help to new mechanics.
There are usually shops that specialize in alignments, which yours will need after this is done. Get those parts replaced and take the truck into one. When they inspect it if there is other parts damaged or worn they will specify which need to go. You can pay them or diy, then return the truck afterwards for the alignment.

You will need a few specialty tools for this, like a pitman arm puller. Most people only use it a couple times so buying one isn’t best choice. Auto parts stores like Orilleys and Autozone have a “loan” program where they sell you the tool, you use it, then return it for your money back. You need to check with your local stores as to what tools they offer.

I suggest starting off with only the basic stuff required until you get the truck useable.
Definitely tackle only one task at a time. Having multiple things torn apart at once is not a good way to learn mechanics. Doing all the front end first, then get into engine and save fuel tank for last.

Phone cameras are helpful-take detailed pictures of each item before disassembly. This
can help a lot when reassembling later. Speaking of pics- take a bunch of pics and post them here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that might see something worth while of mentioning.

The front end components make since with the crash. Definitely the post above is the better long term fix than another mostly worn out one from another truck. The only reason to do that is if you are totally broke and plan to do the work again in another year or so when more cash is on hand.

The distributor needing replacement is confusing.

fill out your signature line with both truck details, engine, trans, etc. look at the others examples inntheir posts (mine is not a good example) Specify which truck is the parts truck, and remember it could become a source for a little income if others here are looking for a part on it you don’t need. So include body pics if not all rusted out and interior pics. Show pics of theexternal fuel tank will help with that task, and fuel pump details.

Back