• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! 6.5 turbo manifold doesn't fit my head

Project G3

Reaction score
Ok I ran into a problem, did a quick search and can't find an answer. Trying to install a turbo on a 6.2 using 6.5 turbo manifold and the exhaust ports and bolts don't align. My heads are casting #10137567 and manifold is #12556476. Searching the web i found another 6.5 manifold #10149624. Is this the manifold i need to fit my head?IMG_20171120_171327.jpg

The close up shows how far its off, can you show pics of entire thIng from couple angles?

Did you have heads surfaced where deck height altered?

Oh, duh! I have as thinking intake manifold.

Thats been a repeated Gm problem since the early 60’s. You need a set of exhaust manifold spreaders.
5F26999B-581E-48ED-A756-D91785D23C01.png

4DD3723D-D74F-4A5A-AE90-C0FB64D3E737.png

You can make your own with a nut coupling and a couple bolts, then use a grinder to cut groove in bolt heads. Not a lot cheaper, but maybe you have the parts.
When I started an old timer taught me always expand it half way slowly, then wait a a few minutes and go the rest of the way. Not sure if that really helps them from cracking, but I never broke one.

For future repairs, I like to put them on before removing manifold if I know that manifold will spring closed like yours.

As cheap is the ebay one is it's a no-brainer. I paid over $400 for a new turbo side, but, got an earlier one cheap when GM dumped 6.5 parts in BK. I drilled out a manifold bolt hole and it lasted a week before it started leaking badly. It sooted everything up under the hood. FWIW It's a cake walk when the engine is out to fix. No so much when the engine is in.

@Will L. how is the success rate after using the spreader to de-warp the manifold? Any 6.x diesel experience with it? Diesels tend to keep f'kd up parts F'd no matter what...

Yeah, I done the turbo manifolds with them. Just snug the 4 back bolts, use spreader between cylinder 6&4, put in and snug those bolts, then the second spreader (note I said he needs a pair of them) between 4&2 while the first spreader is still in place. Then install #2 bolts and snug. Then you can properly torque all 8.

GM does so many things wonderful. Did wifes escalade rear brakes tonight more time to remove and install tires than brakes. But then other things like this... just a simple scrap of metal from flange to flange needed- sigh...:sorry:

As cheap is the ebay one is it's a no-brainer. I paid over $400 for a new turbo side, but, got an earlier one cheap when GM dumped 6.5 parts in BK. I drilled out a manifold bolt hole and it lasted a week before it started leaking badly. It sooted everything up under the hood. FWIW It's a cake walk when the engine is out to fix. No so much when the engine is in.

@Will L. how is the success rate after using the spreader to de-warp the manifold? Any 6.x diesel experience with it? Diesels tend to keep f'kd up parts F'd no matter what...
I`ve used the spreaders on small block GM engines, never had a leak.

Back