• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello from D.C.

eodcoduto

Reaction score
Hello,
I am usually on CK5.com but I noticed this site coming up on a lot of Google'd 6.2l diesel questions I had so I signed up.

We have a '85 K20 Suburban with the 6.2 that I have put a ton of work into, and I just picked up a Banks turbo system for it with a shot turbo. After talking with the gentleman from A-Team turbos it looks like I will try one of his on there and see how it does.

I am looking forward to learning as always and seeing what all you guys have going on.

Gage

Welcome!

What all have you done to the engine?

The ATT is a huge turbo and the small NA 6.2 precups start to get in the way of throwing a lot of fuel at it. Best advice on the ATT is it lights off about 2000 RPM then pulls like a freight train to redline. Below 2000 RPM you have to be careful on the go pedal otherwise it will just smoke. If you leave your fuel alone the ATT will help the 6.2 smoke less in the top end where it's NA version runs out of steam. 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the fuel screw will take advantage of the turbo. More till it stops if you are careful on the throttle. I like to downshift sooner than the small Banks or GM turbo's would to prevent lugging. Not sure where NA engines shift in relation as I owned one way too long ago to recall.

To compare The small Banks and GMx turbo's would run off the starter till about 2200 RPM then they strangle the engine with an Asthma Attack.

I have the best of both worlds as I threw a Yank converter at my setup and leave the stoplight spinning over 2000 RPM with the turbo lit. So I am always in the boost RPM or a quick TCC unlock and or shift away from it.

Welcome!

What all have you done to the engine?

It is a stock rebuild CUCV engine that had 64K when I went through it. I added .030 thicker head gaskets, all new bolts, timing chain, balancer and so on. I am going to have the 4520 pump rebuilt with new injectors by Oregon Fuel Injection and I will turn it up in accordance with the EGTs, and the exhaust will be the full Banks system.

I am running a new 700R4 with the factory 4.10s and 235/85-R16 tires. The reason I am looking at the A-Team is the Banks turbo is $1300 and the ATeam is $800, plus it has a lot of good things being said about it.

That is about it for performance, it has an electric lift pump with the '82-'83 spin on fuel filter and water separator.

This is my "just in case" vehicle that will tow a 5500lb camper from time to time and it gets driven 300-500 miles a month.

I grew up with 6.2ls and have beat on CUCV's in the Marine Corps so I know the limits of these things!

EGT's are just unneeded heartburn. I hit 1550 EGT sustained towing on a 6.2 with the ATT and couldn't burn it down. Now the turbo blanket did turn black. But EGT Myth = BUSTED. Seriously see the carnage thread as I am more than capable of making total scrap metal out of 6.5's and 6.2's.

I owned two ATT at one time and was the 2nd to put a BD Spool Valve on one. Just making the expectations clearer for the ATT. I love mine and used it for heavy towing on the extreme grades out here.

Now ECT over 210 will hurt these engines starting with rings, then cracks, and finally scuffing a piston.

My goal is to stick to under 1100F on the exhaust and enjoy the bump in power and mpg. Moving onto base housing I lost my garage and have to do all maintenance work at the hobby shop, so I don't have the ability to tinker and modify stuff for the next 3 years, then I retire! I am glad work let me put my Bridgeport mill and Colchester Clausing lathe plus all of my tooling in an extra bay or I would really be screwed.

You don't need the air intake you are looking for on CK5 with the Banks .

Back