• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath remote PMD?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
Reaction score
anyone gave theirs a good drowning in mud?......it got drowned yesterday and ran when i parked it(been raining heavy too....close to 6" last 24 hours) wouldn't start this morning.....put in a good PMD i had and it lit right off......anyone else had this trouble?

Mud
Snow
Water
Fording streams
Etc.
No issues. With Heath or even the SSD unit I ran earlier on a Leroy cable.
I seal my connectors at the back were wires enter just for insurance.

Im thinking coencidence., but you may have stressed the harness? pluging a new PMD may have "jiggled" the wires just right for a restart? Just guessing.
You might check the harness out.

Mines a heath unit.

Its literally been underwater several times.

No issues.

Electrical grease packed cavity to back up the metripak seals.

It is also mounted so the electrical connector doesn't have water sitting on it. Added insurance for it not eventually working its way in.

Moisture in the connector cavity will wreak all sorts of havoc...

X's 2 on the Dielectric grease, do like I did and mount 2, I have a Gray Stanadyne in the Bumper and a Black Stanadyne in the Grill, If there is ever a problem I just have to switch a Plug under the hood and I go to the other PMD, Note that you have to use a Thermal paste between the PMD and Heat Sink, I use Arctic 5 It allows better heat transfer and seals up the PMD so water won't go in.
pmd1.jpg

Did it get caked in mud? If so you overheated it. Otherwise I would make sure you get a new Made In USA harness.

just the front got mudded the PMD got more water/mud than all mud.......had to put on the backup PMD yesterday......no rain or wet......i'll order a new cable and dielectric grease the plugs and see what how that works...

Just realized this, but mine's been underwater multiple times. I had totally forgotten it was even mounted under there, on my skid plate when I was driving through the deep water. Hmmm... Interesting. Mine's been in the same location for 9 or 10 years, now that I think about it.

Mine's mounted behind the bumper/license plate. I dielectric grease the heck out of it and wrapped it in tape. on my other truck it's mounted where the Helmholz resonator use to be

My 95 has a cable from Leroy mounted behind the license plate. I've ran through water up to my headlights a few times, didn't think it was that deep, and its been going strong for over 50K

Back