• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath Crossovers

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting haeth's crossovers and the optix boost/pyro guuges for install next weekend. I'm excited, its been so long, now let the upgrades start flowing...

Heath recommends pyro on the crossover, best engine readings there.

Wouldn't that only pick up 4 cylinders and give inaccurate readings?

Nope... most of us drilled the manifold on the Passenger side. What that gave us was 4 cylinders. Just a different 4 cylinders than you.

Either way, you're measuring EGT pre-turbo. It's cooler post-turbo.

Actually, isn't the passenger side manifold technically getting the average of 4 hot, and 4 cool cylinders, since the drivers side has passed under the truck in a "cooling tube" of sorts, then put into the passenger manifold, then past the boss on the manifold where most people put the probe, then up into the turbo? Thus, giving you the average of all 8? This is what I've gathered from posts on the old forum.

BEWARE!!!!!!!, I and others have had issues with optix gauges, do a search please. worst offender is the pyro gauge, great looking gauge but is slowly malfunctioning more and more. gauge sticks, incorrect readings(725 degrees at startup, 1150 unloaded running 55?no) not one glitch out of bullydog gauges. otherwise Heath has great products

BEWARE!!!!!!!, I and others have had issues with optix gauges, do a search please. worst offender is the pyro gauge, great looking gauge but is slowly malfunctioning more and more. gauge sticks, incorrect readings(725 degrees at startup, 1150 unloaded running 55?no) not one glitch out of bullydog gauges. otherwise Heath has great products

Good to know thanks, Havn't ordered yet. I will most defanately look into the beware.

RCPULLER, If he puts the prome close the to drivers side flange, he will get the hottest possible reading, because it will not be averaging in cooler temps. if both sides start at 900 but the drivers side is down to 880 by the time it gets to the pass. side and then your guage reads 890, you're ten degrees off what it really is. (that is just to show the math, those numbers are no more accuate than an AK at 400 yards.... I have no idea what kind of temp loss occurs from the crossover, it would be cool to find out tho...)

If you dont mind me asking Matt, what made you choose heath for the x-oxer? I know that heath is an AWESOME guy, and his serive is par none, but his price is nearly double what others are asking, and you can get a stainless from another vendor (who I dont like, but still, STAINLESS for 80 bucks). I'm just curious how you can to the descision to go with Heath, as I am in the same boat, and soon to instal a complete exhaust system, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
A very respected member on the old forum, years ago said the most accurate place for exhaust temps would be in the drivers side manifold between the #7 cylinder and flange. Nothing, however, was ever said about the change in temps between drivers side and the averaged temp. I was searching a while back about where to put my pyro probe, as I don't want to bother with the passenger side manifold, and, after researching, have decided to put it in the X-over right after the flange. But, unless you need 100% accuracy, I don't think it really matters where you put the probe pre-turbo or immediatly post (turbine housing), you're still going to get a good idea of what the EGT's are. So, basically, put it where you feel is best for you.

If you put it immediatly after the turbine it will read cooler because some of the exhaust heat has been converted into mechanical energy (spinning the compressor) There should be a noticable drop in temp from immediatly prior to the turbine and immediatly after, otherwise the turbo would be doing nothing.

Also, what you said about the most accuate place for a pyro is absolutly correct, for the reasons I specified. Thats why I suggested at the drivers side flange, since it is very easy to access when the x-over is getting installed and its distance from the cylinders is minimal.

Last edited:
There is at least one member on the other site (he's here too) that has said that there is nothing wrong with going right after the turbo (IE, in the turbine housing), and it's no less accurate than pre-turbo. He never said it'd be as hot, just as accurate. I have reason to believe him, since he has expirience with HD trucks (class 7-8), and has mentioned that most, if not all of them place EGT probes in the turbine housing directly after the turbine.

Its all in relation to itself, so you probably could put the temp guage after teh downpipe, and you would still see it go up if you were pushing into unsafe territory (not that i would do this), ... I havn't went with the xover pipe yet, ..

Why heaths, It seemed to be a good kit with all necesary parts for the job, inckluding a bung for temp guage, came with all new flanges and bolts.

As for exhaust, I ordered a Jardine system, it came to $350 with shipping, and this is the kit with the muffler. I was going to go straight pipe, but I drive to customers house's everyday, and plow in the winter time. Now this doesn't bother me much, but I have no idea how loud this is going to be. Keep in mind, my average working weight of my truck is 9500 pounds, with my plow on its about 10,500. I don't want to be rip roaring when I'm simply trying to drive up a customers driveway, or piling snow in the corner somewhere. I'm not a light empty pickup that can feather the pedal to keeep quiet when I need to. I need to move 10klbs.

PM me the link to recommended Xover so I can peep it.

BTW, do all xovers come in a 2 piece design like heaths? I didn't think so, but is there advantages?

All I know is I have a great job now that pays a ton of money, and it is 100% reliable on this truck. So preventive maintenance / MPG upgrades are coming, and coming soon while its still warm out.

I ran post turbo for long time in the Dp, Banks kit was set up this way, I'm now in pre turbo in collector below turbo flange, same EGT meter & probe, just 200F lower temp on avg post turbo vs pre turbo either or is fine, so long as post turbo you remember to mentally calculate EGT delta and don't run 1200F post turbo EGT

y'know what would be a really interesting thing to see? temp change on the GM-8 pre turbo/post turbo compated to temp change on your china turbo... I bet the china turbo is taking more heat out, since you say you have an increase in mpg...

I just towed to Iowa with my church's disaster relief crew; 60 gal fuel in bed tank, 26 gal main tank, 7x7x16 enclosed trailer (wind anchor) loaded to 5000# WOT 6 degree long grade 82mm fuel, 0 lift pump pressure at times, 100% engine load, 80 mph, 180F trans pan temp, 212 water temp, 158 fuel temp, trans in OD, 9 psi boost, 15psi back pressure on turbo max EGT 1100F, IAT 150F, ambient temp 96F running that hard 73-80 mph when passing alas only 9-10 mpg though in very hilly terrain & long grades.

Running with a stock 2002 F250 P Stroke, similar sized trailer but lighter load in his and I could out pull his I was impressed with overall performance, my injectors have about 80k on em, Ctime was 2.02 so new engine will get fresh IP & injectors when I install it.

Last edited:
I am so impressed with all the statistics you know about your rig when your workin her :)

0 lift pump pressure at times... still a problem there, you obviously need a more powerful lift-pump, no?

I am so impressed with all the statistics you know about your rig when your workin her :)

0 lift pump pressure at times... still a problem there, you obviously need a more powerful lift-pump, no?

When I tow I run with my Snap-On scanner plugged in so while not dynoed, I can see the way she is werking when I make a change for better to my rig.

Not 0 at all times just when really putting the load to it, dipping to 0 psi in downshift from OD to 3rd, when shifting back to OD lift pressure came back to 2-3 psi. I made the trip using OD never missed a lick their either.

Currently I have the Heath h/o on it still, which meets the demand that vast majority of folks will put on their rigs, I'm going to be putting on my Walbro pump this weekend hopefully.

Last edited:
Back