• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater Flapper

ireburb

Reaction score
During summer months my AC switches to heat randomly and I can fix it by switching the vent dial from the floor back to the front vents.

This leads me to believe the problem lies in the flap or flap motor that mixes the heat and cold coils/heater cores.

Is it difficult to get at the flapper. I am wondering if I should just leave it alone and keep flipping the controller back and forth as my solution. Drives the wife crazy but I don't want to rip out the whole dash either.

I have to replace the stereo anyways so I am wondering if this is something I can access while I have a piece of the dash pulled out for stereo installation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The actuator motor is just to the passenger side above the hump. It is possible that the gears in the actuator motor are stripping out. More likely is the one year only hvac control. The 95 control is very failure prone. A control from any other year won't work even though they look the same. You could take your chances on a used one from a junkyard or LMC Truck sells new.

IRE,

I have a similar issue, where no defroster air goes through the defroster. Twiddle the knobs a bit, and voila, it will send air to the windshield. Can get pretty sketchy in Idaho winters with no defogging!

Also a 1995.

You can check the motor and arm from under the dash. Have someone run the controls and watch the motor to make sure that it is working properly and check to see that the arm is still attached properly and not binding. If it is actually the door itself, you have to take the dash down and split the HVAC box apart.

on mine the gear that connects to the flapper shaft had split, allowing the plastic gear to spin on the metal hub. had heater all the time. pulled apart and glued the gear back together, retimed it and it works fine now. u have to clock the gear on the hub though, there is a reluctor that tells the motor when to stop spinning.

Back