• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater Core Leak

nobby

Old Timey Diesel Guy
Reaction score
Is it plausible for a leak in the heater core to be showing out of the evaporator drain rather than inside? Cab is dry inside and not really smelling coolant or seeing greasyness but the evap drain tube is dripping coolant.

Cheers
Nobby

Yeah that was my thought as well. I am trying to decide whether the coolant I am tasting is merely residual from a leak I had at the heater hose T's up top or is in fact a leak. Hard to tell in this weather so much water dripping around the truck in general it's hard to pin things down without tearing stuff apart. There is a chance that it is residual and that the coolant tank went into the low coolant light zone again because the heater core burped what it lost after I fixed the other leak. Reckon in this weather rather than tear into it I'll drive around locally and see if things stabilize or not.

That or go buy a Duramax van I am discussing in another thread. :D

Cheers
Nobby

Heater hoses that leak on the core pipes drip on the AC drain.

Hopefully its the heater hoses that are over the drain like WW states. I had the HVAC box out recently(evaporator) and Bison is right as well. PIA job due to time consumption. My heater core was fine, but changed it while it was out. If you have to take HVAC box out, change out all blend doors as you will find them all rotten(gaskets) and not connected. Thats what I found, anyway.

LOL well checked again today and behind the carpet is now wet. I either missed it or the core went literally yesterday and had not had a chance to leak into the cab until sat overnight. Anyways heater core on order.

Seems there is conflicting opinion out there on dash removal can it be done without pulling the dash by just removing the bottom cover?

Cheers
Nobby

You have to pivot the dash. I removed the seats and center console as well. It made it easier IMO, but I replaced the whole interior. I think there is a thread on here showing locaions of fasteners for HVAC box removal. If not google it. I was pretty sick during that project, so its a little foggy. I will check my picture file and see what I have.

Bottom cover can be removed.
if i remember well,.3 bolts in the rear,one left corner, one hidden high up mid way between cover and fire wall(bitch to get to)an other one on right corner between the heater hoses

Yes, bottom cover removal and suggest silicone heater hoses too. You can pull the chopped matting from between the rug and install a sleeping bag ground mat in its place after everything is cleaned up and dry.

I did my 1993 by dropping the bottom cover. I may have just snapped the bitch bolt... :rolleyes:

No dash needs to be lifted or come out, as said, just peel back the carpet for extra clearance, cordless or air 1/4 ratchet makes things soo much easier and maybe remove the glove box door.

Bottom cover can be removed.
if i remember well,.3 bolts in the rear,one left corner, one hidden high up mid way between cover and fire wall(bitch to get to)an other one on right corner between the heater hoses
IMG_1019.JPG

I'm in the process of replacing A/C components & also had a leaky heater core. Thought a pic of the heater core cover (firewall side is top of pic) would be helpful to show folks where the difficult to get at screw is on the cover. The cover wasn't too difficult to get off in my case.

My truck's evaporator fitting was seized onto the accumulator, so winding up replacing the evaporator - so had to pull the dash, HVAC box etc., anyway...

I always dremel cut that nut between the accumulator and evaporator when seized then nut comes off easy the new parts get anti-seize paste so the next time is easy.

Back