• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater controls

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
How hard would it be to switch out the push button heater controls on the 94 dually to something differant. I find the push buttons a pain. They are always going up and down and never stop where you want them.

There is a circuit board behind the controls that can get cracked (kinda like the windshield wipers board) that you can check and is easy to repair with a trace pen or some wire soldered across. I HAD pictures.. *NEVER* keep stuff on a maxtor external drive...

I do not want to fix what I have. I do not like what I have. I would like what my 89 or 95 on upvehicles have for heater controls. I just don't know how hard it would be to swap out to something else

Different control plugs and wiring. For example the 1995 has a water bypass valve on the heater that had to be controlled. The newer POS controls are expensive and tend to fail often. Heat/cold or AC switch was always failing on my 1995. Required complete control head assembly every time.

You are better off keeping what you have.

Different control plugs and wiring. For example the 1995 has a water bypass valve on the heater that had to be controlled. The newer POS controls are expensive and tend to fail often. Heat/cold or AC switch was always failing on my 1995. Required complete control head assembly every time.

Im going to second this, When I first got into the body style GMs with the 88-94 style I hated it, but now with the 97 with nothing ever working right I love it :eek:
However if ya do change something keep us posted :thumbsup:

Something I found out was that the 95 control is year specific. 96+ is all the same and won't interchange with 95.

The newer POS controls are expensive and tend to fail often. Heat/cold or AC switch was always failing on my 1995. Required complete control head assembly every time.

Ditto. I replaced mine, because the switch wouldn't turn off unless
you wiggled it a lot - eight months later, the brand new from the
dealer switch started doing the same thing.
I had a 1993 2500 GMC 6.5, liked it better in every way, especially
the control switches

Reliability may have sucked, but the simplicity and instant set it and get what you wanted "now" was unbeatable. The old, 1993, controls and the modern controls take way too much time from driving to set. The new auto controls are worse than the 1993 era controls... Look and look to finally hit this button several times in a row.

Reliability may have sucked, but the simplicity and instant set it and get what you wanted "now" was unbeatable. The old, 1993, controls and the modern controls take way too much time from driving to set. The new auto controls are worse than the 1993 era controls... Look and look to finally hit this button several times in a row.

You can hold the controls for a few seconds and they'll move themselves across the display.

Back