• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater/AC Blend Door not working

fonecop1

Reaction score
I tried the air conditioner today and it was hot so I figured it needed some freon. I stopped by a friends place and he checked it and it was good on freon and the evaporator is getting cold, It looks like the blend door isn't closing off the heat. A new control head runs about $110 but I hate to change it out if it's just an actuator. Anybody got any opinions or troubleshooting tgips to verify if it's the control head or the actuator?

I just drove it to the barn and when I got in I turned the AC on and I heard the door flip over and it was working great. When I started it up and drove it back to the house it was blowing out of the dash vents some and out of the floor vent some, after about 30 seconds it switched to the dash vents totally. This kind of sounds like the control head because the first problem was the blend not working and the second problem was the other door that directs the air to the defroster, the dash vents, or the floor. I believe those are controlled by 2 different actuators.

Once the original factory control head goes in a 1995... Well I went through 3 of them in my 1995. 1) Heat and cold control lost 2) no AC clutch pull in 3) Stuck on hot when I use AC all the time... And intermittent.

Replace the control head.

Before you replace the control head crawl under the dash and there it a servomotor on the drivers side with a little rod going up to operate the door. Very common for the clip to break and the rod fall off. I had 3 trucks do that. Also you said "out in the barn"...:eek: Hope i's not full of mice nest...

Many times with my 95 I have to change the selector to the desired mode defrost or heat & then run the fan all the way up to high & then I will hear the flap slam into place.

I know it's just a matter of time before I have to do a real fix, but this has been working all winter...

My 95 1) no defrost, would start there and instantly switch to floor and maybe vents 2) A/C clutch not pulling in 3) there was something else weird too can't remember. All started at same time and it was the Control head, which is different for the 95. Very easy to change.

Very easy to change.

I traced the wire to the AC clutch, ripped wire looms apart and all, and then took it to the dealer before I parted with the cash to change the control head. At least dealer can try/guess at electrical parts and eventually get it fixed. Sadly not a GM Good-wrench plus covered item.

Nothing wrong with troubleshooting the other items as this is an expensive part, but, it is a known weak point in 1995. (Always a good idea to double check other items.)

"as this is an expensive part"

EVERYTHING is expensive from the Stealer!!

And yes I did do quite a bit of trouble shooting before replacing the heater control, good find on Egay.

"as this is an expensive part"

EVERYTHING is expensive from the Stealer!!

And yes I did do quite a bit of trouble shooting before replacing the heater control, good find on Egay.

Actually that is bad mind frame to have. A shift position indicator switch for a Jeep Cherokee is more expensive from Carquest $600.00+ than the dealer, $400.00.

Sometimes, not always, the quality you get from the dealer is worth the extra cost esp for alternators and starters. My favorite good price or not is brake pads.

Never hurts to price it out. Sometimes a dealer you frequent will cut you a discount - they are a dealer after all.

Back