• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

head stud install

Somehow I knew this was going to be your next post. You have to gently work the gasket on on the studs. It will slightly fray the gasket around the holes. That is why the gently is very important.Once you are half way down the gasket will drop the rest of the way. If you force it you will break a chunk out of the gasket. You can push on the stud that is binding the worst to help relieve some of the pressure. I walked the gasket about 1/8 " at a time. This is not a good time to be in a hurry.

Alright it kinda scared me for a min i'll try it tommorrow i''m in no hurry my arp moly lube is in the mail anyways so no rush. Also john deere hasn't called yet with my feed the beast fitting lol i'm tryin to get them to get a hydraulic fitting for the ip for a 3/8 inch line.

Take a look at this. Pulled the gasket out of the package and sat it down and picked it up flipped it over and it had this tiny lil spot. Wondering if I need to get another one.

dsc05846.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yea, that's not good. At $25 a gasket they should be perfect when they come out of the wrapper. Get a new one.

Anybody ever install the head studs AFTER sticking the head gasket onto the engine block? (obviously, after chasing/cleaning the block thread holes with a flat bottom tap)

Franko

With the ARP sealer it won't work because it is kinda runny and will get on the gasket surface. Very tough to get perfectly clean with the gasket in the way. You might be able to get away with putting the gasket and the head on and then turn the studs in. That's what you have to do if the engine is in the truck yet.

<snip>...You might be able to get away with putting the gasket and the head on and then turn the studs in. That's what you have to do if the engine is in the truck yet.

With pilot steel rods at the four corners to keep the gasket aligned when you drop the head on them (sorry, "drop" was a bad choice...), right?

Also, how much room at the firewall for block-in-truck head stud install?

Franko

Last edited:
I've never done the studs with the engine in the truck but from what others have said some of the studs have to be floating[nuts on ,keeping them in] in the head on the passenger side when dropping:eek: on the block because there isn't enough room to get them in because of the a/c box. Not shure which ones or how many.:confused:

Three on the pass rear corner(two lower and one middle row) and I think one on the lower drivers side wont clear, IIRC.

Trick, before you pull your old heads off, take one of your studs and check which holes wont fit.

Its been a few years since I did mine, but think I posted which ones give problems, either here or at the place.

Back