• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Head gasket or EGR cooler?

tysmith

ZF Handshaker
Reaction score
Here's the deal. I have oil and coolant on the rear of my right (passenger) head. I believe the oil is coming from the PCV, blowing out of the rear of the EGR cooler. I have it blocked, obviously a bad gasket seal...

I am entertaining the thought that it could be coolant coming out, too. I've added about 2 pints of coolant over the past 30k miles.

I was curious if anyone else has had similar issues. If it's getting head gaskets, it's getting studs. Just don't want to go that deep if it's the EGR cooler...

Might be time to bypass the coolant lines to the EGR cooler and see if the ooze comes back...

Ty

Probably not head gaskets because they tend to blow all the coolant out of the surge tank and leave a black residue (soot) in the tank.

Are you still under warranty?

Yeah, still under warranty, but I'm not going to send it in for one. I'll probably wait and pull it to do head studs and new gaskets, both sides. I'll see if it gets worse. Hell, I could split a piston pulling and be yanking the thing out anyway...

I was curious if anyone else had noticed anything similar. My buddy's '01 was weeping in the same spot as mine, and never got worse. didn't get better, either...

Ty

havent noticed that but i did just notice that the lines the dealer replaced for my powersteering are leaking again and now i have 40k on the truck:mad:
so i guess this means im gonna have to fix them my self

Back