• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Head gasket advice from Missy's desk

I wish Fel-Pro would own up and make some MLS head gaskets for the 6.2/6.5. I am very impressed with the ones I have currently. MLS is one of the best designs out there too. Maybe I just have to bug them more...

Great post on the gaskets Missy, along with some other good information :)

Thanks guys.

The one issue with the Cometic gaskets is that they make it real clear that the surfaces must be VERY smooth, clean and flat.

Eroded decks from old standard gaskets will not hold.

Rough cut decks/heads that have been done in ther machine shop are not the answer with the MLS gaskets.

I used the Copper coat per the folks at Cometics as I voiced concern about coolant seepage.

The stuff they normally recommend is the Hylomar spray, but told me that the spray copper coat is fine, Just not to drown the gaskets in it. (Light coverage over the entire gasket and then install while wet.)

The Cometics have been used with great success on the Power strokes too.

Years ago (60's) when Oldsmobile was putting out the big Iron with 13.5:1 compression, shim steel gaskets were very commonly used to hold that high pressure.

The one thing that Flepro could do to make their gaskets far better for the 6.5 would be to make them RH and LH and eliminate the forward passage opening.

This area just allows the coolant to seep into and around the block and fire ring area where electrolysis sets up.

This is the area around cyl's 1 and 2 where the blocks are always eroded.

You rarely if ever see this any other place.

The issue is definately electrolysis due to disimilar metals and the addition of the coolant/water.

This issue can be agravated by the water in some areas of the country, dcepending on whats in it.

Using premixed coolant can help a lot with this issue as the stuff is mixed with distilled water and not just random tap water.

Some areas have some very nasty tap water.

Loads of disolved iron and other minerals that further agravate corosion issues.

Almost every 6.2/6.5 block that I have torn down has had erosion around the fire ring areas of cyls 1 and 2

The more miles and time the worse the damage.

The newer Felpro gaskets are better in that the area has a much larger stainless reinforcing ring that incorporates the water passage too.

Using the new 6.5 gaskets on most 6.2 builds is a far better way to go.

OH BTW the P400 comes with Felpro gaskets as of the last one I saw back last summer.

The engine had come through for a Hummer and had the pickup style heads with the 90 degree intake studs as opposed to the 60 degree ones needed. (they swapped out the heads and gaskets and the gaskets were definately Felpro)

Missy

Back