• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HD transmission coolers.

M123KT-450

Reaction score
Earls:

DTR Staff Edit: Non-Vendor link to SummitRacing website removed

Earls:

B & M :

DTR Staff Edit: Non-Vendor link to JEGS website removed

B & M:

The 2 B&M coolers look like whats already on my truck i would have to measure to make sure but its a rather good sized one. . .
If so is it worth up grading to the larger sized earl coolers ?

Mikey

Thanks, Mikey - some of our site vendors sell these High-Cap Transmission pans, so I pulled your Non-Site-Vendor links as per our link policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
you may as well just delete this thread then as without the photos its more or less worthless. . . if we have said vendors i think links to the corresponding products should listed in each forum section them. . .just a thought. . .

Mike

well, they left the source, I put a 28klb hd cooler on mine-1/2" connectors, still found it necessary to add second cooler to make me feel better when checking temp. BTW, the 28klb was the biggest I could fit in the packed grill-but it fit with a little modding.

About what was the measurements ? On your 28K cooler ?

I think the cooler I was looking at was 13x8x2ish ?

Well its not 8 it was like 7-3/4 ?

Mike

its close to 11 x 11 x 1.5 (b&m). 1/2" inlets. my problem is my truck has 5/16" lines and I have not had money to change to the 3/8" that came with later trucks for better flow

Yes

Yes it is worth upgrading to a bigger cooler with most any transmission and engine combination when towing heavy on hot summer days. IMO.
I have installed the Earls 82510 trans cooler on my truck, through I have not test it yet with a load I do expect it help. As what I have read at various other tech sites and from MikeL, it will reduce tempertures of to 25 degrees.

Earls:

Earls:

B & M :

B & M:

The 2 B&M coolers look like whats already on my truck i would have to measure to make sure but its a rather good sized one. . .
If so is it worth up grading to the larger sized earl coolers ?

Mikey

Thanks, Mikey - some of our site vendors sell these High-Cap Transmission pans, so I pulled your Non-Site-Vendor links as per our link policy.

i am wanting to service this trans as well whats the best method of fluid/filter change ?

some say drop the pan change the filter and top it off. . .

others say to crack open a trans line and drain it into a bucket n fill from another. . .

I am going from mobile Conventional ATF to AMSOIL synthetic ATF. . .

Mikey

Nope. . .i actually change a few oil filters before i change the oil. . .

So drop the pan change the filter and top it off ?
but that don't really get all the fluid out of the unit dose it ?

theres the T-tech mechine, theres the dip stick mechine theres the tranny line way theres the pan drop way. . .many many types of flushes and way to change out the fluid n filter. . .

Mike

True

All true, you can't get all the fliud out at home but its better than a flush without changing the filter. Changing the filter is the key to a healthy transmission and or an engine.

with no converter plug, easiest way I know is to disco top cooler line into radiatoror return at tranny, run a hose from it to a 14 qt + bucket. put funnel on tranny fill tube. start engine and let the converter pump fluid out. you can either start/stop engine as fluid runs out or continue to pour fluid in as it pumps out. this will get almost all old fluid out, very little old left if any. oh yeah, change filter first. have done this on chevy, honda, plymouth, and ford.

other method is to change filter fluid, drive a mile, repeat 3-4 times, changing filter on last change. does not get everything out but puts a good amount of new in. not my preference on going from conventional to syn.

I would go with the Earls cooler, as big as you can fit.
Swapping the trans fluid is easy. Drop the pan and change the filter, pull the return line at the trans and slip a hose on it and run it to a bucket, have a helper to start the truck and start pouring it in as it comes out. I did this until it was nice and red, about 4 gallons.

Alrighty will do i a friend of mine has done the filter swap line crack deal before so i am going to have him help assist me in doing this. . .

Mikey

What part of the country do you live in? You might consider a oil thermostat.
I offer the perma cool oil thermostats and am giving them free with the purchase of a kit.
My coolers are made by the same company that makes B&M. I am also going to offer the Perma Cool remote oil filters. See here for more info http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=10074

Picture of filter kit
http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/CatImages/PG25-L1.gif
Pic of thermostat
http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/CatImages/PG14-C1.gif

Back