• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Haven't been on in awhile so...

Matt C

Recruit
Reaction score
Like the title says i haven't been on in awhile, way too long in fact! So i thought i would log on and update some changes I've made on the old 6.2. First off to start the whole project i needed tires had no driving or steering complaints other then funny tire wear... but boy did I have issues! Lifted it up and holy sh#$ were my upper ball joints shot! :eek:Put all new ball joints in one new CV shaft and sway bar bolts took it to get aligned and ended up with new tie rods aswell, so since i recently replaced the pitman and idler arms i have completely replaced my steering now. Was lucky enough to be given some american racing wheels for free cuz the guy thought they were beyond saving due to lack of polish and Minnesota winters, 8 hours of sanding and polishing they look like new on my rusty truck! Lol. Come to find out 285's on 8' wide wheels sucks up some power from the old girl so on to the next journey of turning up the injection pump 1/8 turn... what a difference that made! Next I was sick of the box style fuel filter and had a housing laying around from a 6.5 turbo so i decided to put that on. I knew it was going too smooth when i drilled my holes at the back of the intake to mount it and all the lines hooked up perfect harnesses plugged in bled it out no leaks, put the air cleaner on and it hits the bleeder on the filter. After a little grinding to make it sit lower i ended up cutting off all the unneeded plastic on the bleeder screw and it fits perfect and i will be very happy next filter change! Been a busy boy the last month getting all this done and couldn't have done some of it without the knowledge learned here! Hoping to come around more often now!

I've got some before and after of the truck and the rims, i will take some this weekend of my filter setup... 1st pic rims when i got them. 2nd is after I got done sanding and polishing. 3rd rims on the truck with LT285/75/16 Trailcutter R/T's on them. 4th is my true dual exhaust setup. 5th the frame started to rot out behind the drivers side front wheel, plated both sides and the bottom, should outlast the rest of the truck! 6th pic is the truck before mods. 7th is the finished product till i get some fender flares to cover up the rust and the last owners primer gray "fix" 2012-07-29_17-12-29_292.jpg 2012-07-29_17-12-35_868.jpg 2012-10-07_12-01-34_95.jpg 2012-09-01_14-23-39_345.jpg 1346527480896.jpg 28927_432723425790_5813142_n.jpg 408727_10151249601440791_1598769160_n.jpg

I take back all of the nasty comments I have made to my truck for having rocker rot.... Wheels look nice though! My stockers are pretty nasty and corroded.

wheels came out real nice.

maybe go with some bushwhacker cut out flares so you can maybe cut out the rust around the wheel wells?

Pepperidge... that is my next purchase some big flares that will cover all that uglyness up! As far as the rust goes I just had a 1996 chevy in the shop this week that was worse! Makes the 5th truck I've seen with the frame rotted in the same spot... seen a 88, 91, my 93, a 94 and now 96. This one was so bad someone had tried to jack the truck up in that spot and totally crunched it all in, they go right at the curve in the frame inside and out but I've only seen it on the drivers side. Gotta love Minnesota winters!!

I don't think I could put my truck in all thsat salty slush day after day in wintertime...I occasionally do back my boat down into a saltwater launch and some gets un the underside, but I rinse it and the boat trailer off when I get back to the house...

I don't think I could put my truck in all thsat salty slush day after day in wintertime...I occasionally do back my boat down into a saltwater launch and some gets un the underside, but I rinse it and the boat trailer off when I get back to the house...

Winter #7 for me coming up. You would be surprised at how little undercarriage rust I have. Weekly Superwash undercarriage flush and parking in a heated shop make alot of difference.
Still... Yeah, I hate road salt except when it keeps me from wrecking.

That would be the reason my Duramax sits in the garage most of the winter!! Lol If it doess get drove in the salt it gets sprayed off for sure! Which is what started all this had to get the old reliable 6.2 all fixed up for winter

My 95 spent some time up in Minnesota but it looks nothing like that, our farm trucks are worse and they've been in ok their whole lives. I got my 95 fired up for dd driving and almost have my 93 ready for heavy hauling so I can use my Dmax for road trips and weekend cruising.

Back