• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anyone swapped a ZF 8HP70 behind a Cummins in a pickup?

Jake396SS

Reaction score
I have been following the Zero to 60 Youtube channel and they have been doing ZF 8 speed swaps into many vehicles including Toyota Land Cruisers. It seems to me that the Dodge/Ram Cummins guys have been poorly served in the transmission area, and one area they need help is more gears. I'm talking about regular use situations not competition. I realise that you would need to limit the power output of a Cummins behind an 8HP70 to 400 or thereabouts but the idea is interesting. The 8HP70s advantages are lots of gears, and once the vehicle is moving, everything is locked up so no slippage and little heat is generated. There's also the excellent TurboLamik aftermarket transmission controller to run it with. Here is a video of an 8HP70 in a Land Cruiser

Last edited:
I would think the 8HP95 would be the better move if going that direction because the base -70 unit although hanldes hp ok struggled with torque. Diesels kill transmissions with torque not upper rpm hp. And the basic rule is 2:1 so a 400hp cummins should deliver 800 torque. Although you can build a 70 to handle it- you are already spending big bucks in the system so just jumping to the -95 seems better for long term life.

But the stronger more proven trans is the allison- so why not go that route is my real inclination.

Back