• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anyone ever had this happen?

gnel

Reaction score
I was changing out fluids today (differentials and T/case).Front and rear no problems. But the transfer case was something else. I removed the upper filler bolt and ATF came pouring out. I mean like a quart or more. Of course I had nothing ready to catch the oil and ended up soaked in it. I then removed the drain bolt and finished the job. My question is how in the hell did the P/O get it so full? I don´t have any noticable leaks so I think the seals are OK. But wtf ? Could this have any other ramifications? Thanks g

Your transfer case could have a bad seal on the input shaft. The tranny fluid can overfill the transfer case.

I dont have a transfer case to know where the upper fill is, but was the transfer case level when you opened it up?

Or could it be like it was not level when someone filled it and it could take more fluid becaue the front was jacked up only or something like that?

Thanks for the replys. I was level so Buddy thats not it. It must be the seal at the input shaft. Is that something I can do in my driveway with limited tools and skills? I´m assuming I´ll be about a quart low in the tranny now? Will this screw up the tranny? Can I fill the tranny and still drive it? Jeez just when I thought I´d taken care of all the problems. Thanks again. g

If you jack up the front of the truck and fill it when its not level, could you get extra fluid in there?

A quart low in the tranny should easily register on dipstick, unless it stopped leaking past and PO refilled tranny before you bought it.

If you jack up the front of the truck and fill it when its not level, could you get extra fluid in there?

No the fill and drain bolts are on the rear of the transfer case so you would have to jack up the back of the truck and to get the volume mine had you would have to stand her up on her nose.

If you are comfortable pulling the transfer case as a DIY then you should be fine with changing the rear transmission seal too. Slide hammer with seal puller jaws (internal) works well for that. And yes, I had that happen on an '89 Blazer. Was the rear (output) TC seal leaking as well?

If you are comfortable pulling the transfer case as a DIY then you should be fine with changing the rear transmission seal too. Slide hammer with seal puller jaws (internal) works well for that. And yes, I had that happen on an '89 Blazer. Was the rear (output) TC seal leaking as well?

The rear seal looked fine. I´ll have to think about pulling the T/C. I´m a little worried that it´ll be over my head skill wise. Thanks for the replys. g

Yep, back of tranny is open. If you have the new process transfer case they aren't terrible heavy. It wouldn't hurt to have a friend there to help get it in and out. I have manhandled them by myself but it's a hand full untill you get them started back on the tranny output shaft.
I recently replaced the front tc seal on my 94 k2500hd [599 project] when I had it out. I had the same thing happen when I went to drain it before pulling the whole driveline in one piece. The atf shot out of it like it was being pumped when I pulled the plug. I had almost a gallon on the floor.

Drain it to an acceptable level, make sure trans is full and monitor it. The leak may not be that bad. Who know's when the last time anyone even checked it. It's not uncommon to find that. Transfer cases hooked up to Manuals AFAIK use gear oil. I believe it was donethis way incase the seal fails the tranny won't get contaminated.

I was just looking through some of my service manuals

NP 203 10W30 engine oil

NP 205 90 GL-5 gear oil

NP 208 Dexron II or III ATF

NP 241 Dexron II or III ATF

Borg Warner Dexron II or III ATF

gnel

Please excuse my ignorance here, but I have some questions and I haven't taken the time to check this out on my 94 pickup. Is the TC fill plug higher than, or equal to, where the tranny oil level should be when full? The reason for this question is like this---

I have a 71 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser. They are known for the same problem. Failed seal between manual tranny and TC allows the TC to pump its oil into the tranny thus running the TC almost out of oil and destroying things in the TC. The common temporary (sometimes longterm temporary) fix for this is to run an overflow hose from the tranny to the TC. You take the tranny fill plug and drill and tap it for a threaded hose barb. Do the same for the TC fill plug and connect them with an oil hose. The tranny fill plug is enough higher than the TC fill plug that the extra oil pumped from the TC into the tranny drains back through the new oil line. This keeps the TC happy with enough oil and the tranny from becoming unhappy because of too much oil.

IF-- the TC fill plug is high enough, and-- IF--- there is a place on the auto tranny lower than the TC fill plug that an overflow hose could be run to, the Landcruiser fix might be able to make a temporary fix for you.

I don't know enough about the auto tranny and TC in these rigs to be able to say if this is a good or bad idea. But, it sounds like this is a common occurance so I'm just wondering. I don't have a warm dry place for crawling on the ground under my pickup so it may be a while before I get a chance to check it out for myself.

Don

had this problem with my 82, pulled the check plug and shot atf ten feet. I didn't even think it was supposed to have atf, but my gm guru who owns nothing but 454/th400/205s insists it should. Pretty sure my old 203s and one 205 had 80/90 in them. It was the seal between the trans and t-case, and it kinda sucked to do. The 205 case is way too heavy for one person to handle. Linkage was a hassle, but once apart the seal was a $5 part that took 2 minutes to change. I did a 203 by myself on the ground once, I used a stack of old tires under it to "catch" the case as it dropped. Worked nice actually.

PO told me the tranny was using fluid. Now I know where it was going. It was pushing out the vent, which was covered in oily mud, who knows how long it was doing that.

Back