• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anyone actually installed an Optimizer 6500

TurboTahoe

Recruit
Reaction score
There have been so many glowing reports of this new progeny of the 6.5, that I have to wonder if anyone has actually ordered and installed a long block? I notice that vendors like 65engineparts dot com actually claim to stock them for around $4500, and that is about the price from DieselDepot for a rebuild.

So... how about it? Did anyone drop one of these bad boys in, and was it worth it?

-Rob :)

I installed a new AMG/GEP Optimizer long block, factory fresh from Franklin Ohio. Unless something has changed, the only authorized vendors for this engine are W.W. Williams and Penninsular Diesel. The engine was $5,750.00 plus $200.00 shipping. There were many threads on the other site about GEP long and short blocks available everwhere.

As I said, unless something has changed in the last year, if it did not come from Franklin, Ohio, it is not an AMG /GEP Optimizer, it is a Chinese knock-off.

If you want the contact info at W.W. Williams let me know, it was the easiest and most professional transaction I ever had.

I installed a new AMG/GEP Optimizer long block, factory fresh from Franklin Ohio. Unless something has changed, the only authorized vendors for this engine are W.W. Williams and Penninsular Diesel. The engine was $5,750.00 plus $200.00 shipping. There were many threads on the other site about GEP long and short blocks available everwhere.

As I said, unless something has changed in the last year, if it did not come from Franklin, Ohio, it is not an AMG /GEP Optimizer, it is a Chinese knock-off.

If you want the contact info at W.W. Williams let me know, it was the easiest and most professional transaction I ever had.

Yes, I absolutely would like the contact at W.W. Williams. Please PM me.

More importantly, give us details on the installation AND the performance. How's she rocking?

As far as I know any long block purchased from GM dealers (and umpteen others selleers of GEP engines) since late 2001 would be an optimizer 6500. It's the GEP name for the GM 6.5 diesel.

Ron Taylor
Defense Business Development
W.W.Williams
Consider It Done
313.584.6150 Ext.337
313.584.1444 Fax
800.468.6332 Toll Free
mailto:[email protected]

Ron was a great guy to deal with, it shipped when he said it would, arrived when he said it would, followed up to see if delivery was OK. He said mine should have a forged steel crankshaft as they had just changed from cast ones.

It came in a full crate, with new block heater, balancer, oil and filter. Install was smooth. I marked a reference point on the pump and installed it as close on the new engine as possible, fired right up and was close enough until I had it set to -1.50. She has been running great for the last 10K!

My only complaint is I lost 2 mpg with the new engins and can't figure out why.

250 hp / 550 ft lbs of torque, forged crank.....I'm there when one of my GM versions goes.:eek:

I think I found a little something to clear the Optimizer 6500 / P400 question.

Just reviewed the thread on The Diesel Page written by the guy that put a P400 in a GMT400 dually (w/ the custom fab work to come up w/ an oil pan that fit the pickup frame, etc.)

His text says that the P400 is a redesign of what was the Optimizer 6500. And there appears to be clear differences. Forged crank etc. Looks like the key to look for is the "P400" casting mark. The text says he got it from WW Williams & mentions the name Ron Townsend (same first name anyhow). Says it's 20.2:1

There's even a bit of feedback on possible boost levels for max torque, that appears to have come from AMG/GEP engineers & was retracted. Possibly engineers answered before considering folks putting it in pickups might not have enough engine cooling system, or charge air cooling to safely support the initial suggestion of 28 psi boost for max recommended torque levels. Very interesting stuff to hear any OEM engineer's thoughts; even if caution & common-sense backed off on the earlier statement.

Somebody, at least off-hand thinks w/ all the supporting equipment, it will handle 28 psi. Obviously not to be taken as written in stone, but still interesting.

Check out the pic in this link of an engine setting in the crate, getting ready to hang it from the hoist. You can see the "P400" casting mark on the left bank rear/vert surface just below the deck.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31870

Maybe it needs to be the P400 designation to have the redesigned, stout looking ladder-tied mains & forged crank?

Maybe the Optimizer name was carried over? Who knows? No doubt something to study well before parting w/ serious coin. If there was significant inventory of the earlier Optimizer 6500, folks holding the paper on that inventory will be most interested in selling that inventory.

Last edited:
the engineer at the franklin ohio plant that builds these says these p400s are safe up to 28 psi at 20.2:1 comp ratio. thats a strong engine

I'm pretty sure the mods will delete the link to that other forum, so here are the pics....

65TD_LB.jpg

599BlockWebcrack013.jpg

1993ChevyDiesel35004X4003.jpg

1993ChevyDiesel35004X4015.jpg

BlockFeb9004-1.jpg

BlockFeb9004.jpg

EngineOilPanInstalled020.jpg

IM000880.jpg

Back