• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change out the harmonic balancer on these trucks?

Does it take any special tools?

I am about to pick a truck up for my brother and the one on it is bad.

Thanks!

The bolt should be real tight, remove the crank pulley and replace it as well, it is more than likely bad also. use a pulley puller to remove the old one and just put the new one on and I think they tork to around 200ft lbs ?? You can do it from under the front with ease. Don't buy the cheap stuff, you will be replacing things again in a year or so again...

Some autoparts stores do a 'loan-a-tool' deal. Basically you buy it and then bring it back for a refund. HB puller would come in handy...

HF have a set of bolt pulley puller cheap. IIRC, you may need to buy some metric bolt to use that are not included in the set.

It was not the harmonic balancer it was the pulley with the rotted out rubber.

What exactly is this called?

Here is a picture
IMG_0401.jpg

Crank Pully........and they make some hell of noise when they go bad, mine sounded like rocks and marbles in a metal can on a paint shaker.

Replacing the crank damper now in addition to replacing the toast crank pulley/damper would be highly advisable. They wear fast compared to gassers and the rubber lets go and lets the outside and hub slip. And that is a bad thing indeed since it no longer damps and the stresses in the crank go up. The gotcha is unless you check it often to see the alinement marks are still good they can fail silently.
<geekout>
Just to be technically correct, and that is the best kind of correct :hihi: Both these parts are harmonic dampers. Since you can't really balance harmonics, just the static weights and the dynamic changes such as the effect of the piston and rod motion. The dampers turn the cyclic harmonic motions into heat in the rubber.</geekout>

So it is advise able to change both the pulley and the balancer? 1 is 59 and the other is 57 for the Dornman @ AutoZone.
My pulley don't look bad at all with 128850 miles,, but While I'm in there,,,

Fluidampr here.. Don't have to mess with elastomer types anymore.

IIRC all 'new' OEM style dampers are ying-yang now. (marginal quality)

If your pulley is good, run it.

I only change them in sets. Bad thing is GM parts is now made in China (I thick) as 3500GMC said.
Fluid damper had a price increase and are around $430-$440ish now.

If it ain't broke leave it alone. I stopped trying to do preventative maintenance a good majority of the replacement parts are JUNK!

Fluid dampener is nice but IMO unless you have a new $7K motor it's like putting lipstick on a pig. I do keep a eye on mine, but I ain't shelling out 400+ to replace something before it needs it...too many other things that are shot that have to be replaced.

Yes I realize this can take the motor out...but we can destroy these motors many ways like running the EGT's at 1400F for extended periods of time or easier with a bad set of squirts...JMHO

I have Fluidampers in aqlmost everything. The Fluidamper for the 94 is on the shelf in the shed.

I wouldn't use an aftermarket. Don't know what a GM or ACDelco costs. It's a one time for sure thing with the Fluidamper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049Z68VM/?tag=jhuntlink-20
ACDelco 10154688 Crankshaft Balancer Assembly
by ACDelco
Price: $39.99+ 11 shipping or $51.67 with free amazon shipping!

Found this on Amazon.com Right click the GM part number and then select Search Google for 10154688

I have Fluidampner taste on a Dorman Budget!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only change them in sets. Bad thing is GM parts is now made in China (I thick) as 3500GMC said.
I am betting its the same Asian parts in all the boxes. 41$ for the Dorman pulley 60$ for the ATP, 117$ for the AC Delco (Rockauto)
Thinking I would spring for the Dorman and check it often. Me be cheep. :hihi:

I would spring for the Fluidamper. I only like to do things once. And I don't like doing them once all that much.
The rest of my family drive all of my vehicles, often with my grandkids in tow. I want the most dependable parts I can buy

Not to mention skimping on parts has more often than not cost me in labor

I am betting its the same Asian parts in all the boxes. 41$ for the Dorman pulley 60$ for the ATP, 117$ for the AC Delco (Rockauto)
Thinking I would spring for the Dorman and check it often. Me be cheep. :hihi:

Fluidamprs are quite an investment. Sometimes you can score one used.

A new ying-yang HB is way better than a Hosed OEM unit anyday.

Back