• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer / Crank Pulley

jmiller

Recruit
Reaction score
It appears that the Crank pulley needs to be replaced on my truck.

I started to notice a clanking sound in the last day or two. When I pull on the serpentine belt, I get movement.

The big question is, if the crank pulley has given up, should the Harmonic Balancer also be changed?

Second question, what's the difference between the Dorman balancer that Heath sells and the Dorman balancer that NAPA sells?

It appears that the Crank pulley needs to be replaced on my truck.

I started to notice a clanking sound in the last day or two. When I pull on the serpentine belt, I get movement.

The big question is, if the crank pulley has given up, should the Harmonic Balancer also be changed?
As long as you're in there, I'd spend the extra $100 and take care of any future/pending problem. Specially when you consider that the noise & vibration that you felt thru flexible engine mounts is a small percentage of what's happening down on the motor. Your harmonic balancer has had its hands full. Consider it cheap insurance.

Second question, what's the difference between the Dorman balancer that Heath sells and the Dorman balancer that NAPA sells?
None. Dorman sells one part number for '94 and later 6.5 motors: #DRN594-170. Their part # for the pulley is DRN594-037.

I have a used set that is perfectly good I can sell you. GM parts. I had a bad diagnosis (my fault) and replaced them instead of looking at the flex plate. DOH!

All in all it is an easy job. You do need a puller though.

replace the balancer. its cheap insurance as a balancer costs less than a crankshaft. :eek: i replaced both my crank pulley and balancer at the same time. the balancer bolt has to be torqued to 200 Ft lbs. i rented a torque wrench from auto zone since my el--cheapo one didn't go up that far. the crank pulley will come off when you remove the 4 15MM bolts. the balancer has to be unbolted and pulled off with a puller. the new balancer should come with a new bolt and spacer. do not reuse the bolt/spacer form the old balancer. The torque spec for the crank pulley bolts is 37 ft lbs.

replace the balancer. its cheap insurance as a balancer costs less than a crankshaft. :eek: i replaced both my crank pulley and balancer at the same time. the balancer bolt has to be torqued to 200 Ft lbs. i rented a torque wrench from auto zone since my el--cheapo one didn't go up that far. the crank pulley will come off when you remove the 4 15MM bolts. the balancer has to be unbolted and pulled off with a puller. the new balancer should come with a new bolt and spacer. do not reuse the bolt/spacer form the old balancer. The torque spec for the crank pulley bolts is 37 ft lbs.

Thanks,

Ordered both today.

Back