• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard To Push Manual Clutch Pedal NV4500

Okay Guys, I just went to the parts store and the cost of a new duel mass flywheel is about 1,000. I guess I will now be leaning towards the single flywheel for around 150 dollars. Does anyone know if I will need to install a dampner that goes on the transmission. From what I understand the 6.5's that came stock with the single flywheel had the dampner already on the transmission?

Okay Guys, I just went to the parts store and the cost of a new duel mass flywheel is about 1,000. I guess I will now be leaning towards the single flywheel for around 150 dollars. Does anyone know if I will need to install a dampner that goes on the transmission. From what I understand the 6.5's that came stock with the single flywheel had the dampner already on the transmission?

When I switched to the single mass flywheel, I put the output shaft dampener in mine. It stops the high frequency pulse. Fifth gear is splined on the output shaft and can loosen up. It is held in place by a nut tourqued against a flat, If the nut loosens up the gear tends to move back and forth on the splines and eventually strips the splines out, then you lose fifth gear.

The older model four speeds had the dampener as well look for the old stick shift 6.2 trucks. The dampener is the size of a coffee can with two steel sleeves separated by a rubber insert. NV-4500 parts get expensive, put the dampener in and save fifth gear.

So Slim Shady, Do you have a parts break down so one can see where this dampener is located? Is it located inside the transmission? One has to take a big nut off the backside of the tranny to install it?

I did some calling around to some friends Today and I might have located one. He said he has a tranny out of a 6.2 but he is saying it is a 3 speed. I wonder if there is one inside that tranny? If it is the correct one he will give it to me and I will put it on. I wonder what size socket it is?

I have been searching around and I am not sure many are putting it on their tranny. Folks have even called Mr. Heath and he is said to say it isn't needed. I didn't talk to him but acouple of other people have asked him about it. I am just curious as to how many people are putting this dampener in when they switch over to the single flywheel?

Its got to be sandwiched between the tranny output shaft flange and the driveshaft flange on a 2 wh drive.No room for it in the tranny.
on some ford veh i seen it up against the rearend pinion.

So Slim Shady, Do you have a parts break down so one can see where this dampener is located? Is it located inside the transmission? One has to take a big nut off the backside of the tranny to install it?

Here's a pic & a GM document on the subject.

Attachments

• nv4500%20parts%20033.jpg
    nv4500%20parts%20033.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
  • side_pic_dampener.JPG
    side_pic_dampener.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 4
  • rear_pic_dampener.JPG
    rear_pic_dampener.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Manual Transmission Rattle Noise At Idle.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
its in the tail housing. it requires a special socket to remove the nut that holds it on you may be able to get it on with out the special socket though. not sure if you saw in my earlier post but i do have an extra flywheel laying around the may or may not need resurfaced PM me if you are interested.

its in the tail housing. it requires a special socket to remove the nut that holds it on you may be able to get it on with out the special socket though. not sure if you saw in my earlier post but i do have an extra flywheel laying around the may or may not need resurfaced PM me if you are interested.

Here's Quad4x4.com's page w/ NV4500 tools -

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500 Tools.htm

Okay, I called around on some prices. My connection at GM couldn't get any dual mass flywheels. I talked to a very high volume parts store and they said they can get me the dual mass flywheel for 750 dollars. Dan at Quad 4x4 said the tranny's seem to be lasting longer if you put the dampener in the transmission, that i would need if I converted over to the single mass. I have been checking around and am having a hard time finding a used dampener for the tranny. Dealer said it is 300 dollars for the dampener for the tranny.

Don at quad 4x4 said one should buy a quality single flywheel because he has found that alot of flywheels arn't balanced right. I believe him because he said he doesn't sell flywheels. So I got a price from the dealer for the flywheel. It was 233.90 dollars for the single flywheel from gm. Gm said he would have to look into the cost for the single mass bolt kit. Friend at GM said he could get me the dampener for 306.66. Also Gm said the clutch kit was 333.22. This is going to leave a mark. In the pocket for sure.

So one way to look at it. 750 for the dual flywheel. Clutch kit will be about 330 dollars. So I am at about 1080 dollars.

One other way to go would be. single flywheel is about 230 dollars from gm. Clutch kit is going to be about 330 dollars. Then that dampener would be 300 dollars. I am just guessing but the bolt kit might be 25 dollars. Then I think Slim Shady had his dampener installed for about 80 dollars. Total this way would be around 965 dollars.

If I could find a used dampener or if I elected to go without the dampener it would of course be cheaper. What to do?

Okay, I just got off the phone with a large transmission shop. They said that when they build the nv4500 transmission for someone that had converted to the single flywheel they don't usually end up putting in the dampener in the transmission. They said they haven't seen any problems by not putting in the dampener. They say you will probably hear alittle gear chatter in 1st and 2nd gear but not bad.

It sounds like when they rebuild a nv4500 transmission that if the dampener is wore that they just take it out. The shop I spoke with didn't think that the dampener was needed at all. Another persons name that sticks in the back of my mind is Mr. Heath. He is to have said it isn't needed either. That I seen on acouple of other threads here on this board. I guess I am just trying to make myself feel better if I don't put the dampener in.

This shop said that same single mass flywheel could be used from 92 to 2002. He said the clutch kit is the same from 92-96 I think. And has a different part number from 97- 2002. I think that is because the throwout bearing is different between those years because of the slave cylinder/fork set up.

installing the dampner would not be that hard but it does require a few specialty tools beacouse it is pressed on to the output shaft. and one would have to take the top cover off of the tranny so that it can be locked into 2 gears to keep it from turning while the nut it tourqed down also a special socket is needed for the nut (its nothing to fancy just has 4tabs that go into the notches in the nut

10 or 15 years ago, the NV4500 was THE mod for Jeepers and others who upgraded their light-duty Jeeps and Broncos into something more suitable for trails. If I recall correctly, most all of those conversions required removing the damper from the NV4500. You might contact some of those companies and see if they have any lying around.

JB Conversions
Advance Adapters
Advanced Four Wheel Drive Engineering (in Salt Lake City).
mepco4x4? (another Salt Lake City company)

...can't remember any of the others. The parts all dried up for the trannys and they fell out of favor a few years back.

doober - I have the nv4500 in my 96. The truck came from the factory with the dual mass flywheel, but when I went to replace the clutch, I replaced it with a solid flywheel unit. I could not justify the cost of a new dualmass flywheel.

The clutch that you will buy from the GM dealer is a luk clutch in a GM box. I bought mine directly from the dealer, which i normaly dont do, but the price was very reasonable i thought.

Anyways, I have been running the solid flywheel with no damper for about 25K miles now. I do alot of towing with the truck as well as highway miles and I have noticed no problems, or felt anything different with the clutch.

I cant say anything about long term effects of not having the damper, but for me so far, everything has worked fine. Hope this helps!

-Nick

I bought a LUK kit with a single mass flywheel and clutch. I paid less than the cost of the dual mass flywheel for the whole LuK kit. I have been happy with the clutch so far.

I also did a lot of reading and most people that recommended you don't need the vibration dampener didn't own a stick shift.

I removed the damper on the n/v 4500 that i had in my 91 6.2 when i o'hauled it . I sold it this spring and put over 100,000 k on it with no problems. i have seen many come into the shop with it removed and worked fine.
The only thing that i noticed with out it was a bit of a gear rattle in the granny gear (1st) when i would first take off . very little that I ever used 1 st so did not bother me. The reason i removed it was because when i tried to get it off the shaft for the o'haul I had to put heat to it to get it to move.

They can be a real bear to get off . What i did was pressed the inside out of the damper ,ground the inside edge off a little (so it would slide on the shaft better) and put that inner part back on the shaft as a spacer !! Make sure to use red loctie on that nut or it will come loose. If you look around you can now find a nylon lock nut to fit.

Back